Sparks Coming Out Of Molex Help!

CoolMaster

Ok I noticed some sparks coming out of an open molex cable (from a Y cable) for a fan, and it was like touching the metal of my case so sparks were kinda going, it eventually shut off the computer

and well everything is running fine now?

but could that have possibly damaged anything or is it just putting a current through the case

or am I ok

I know they were sparks and thats what shut my comp off, I had to hold in the power button for awhile, then like it turned back on

but Im wondering if their is possibly any damage that could've occured?

:blink:

Guest Flashstar

Just as long as the sparks didn't tough the motherboard, you should be fine. I would worry though about your psu. It probably means that you need a new one. lol

Cross your fingers you won't have complications with your system in the furure but I think you should be fine. Start rolling out the electrical tape and cover any metal coming from wires that can contact the metal on your case.

No it didnt touch my motherboards

I guess thats what the standoff is for huh?

it was just touching the metal cage that your HDD normally goes in, so it didnt touch the motherboard

And I just bought this PSU

wouldnt No matter what psu u had it would do that if the metal from the molex's would make it spark if it was touching metal

And dont worry It's running fine, i was worried about my video card mainly.......but would it really affect my video card it seems to be running fine

it sounds like the flux capacitor over loaded

if you hav a trans dimensional beacon

then start it up with the medi-clorians

if not, then you should me ok

511642[/snapback]

lol that sounds like something from star wars. any ways get a multimeter and measure the volts and watts from your psu.

The shutoff was probably some sort of breaker in the PSU that tripped when the wires shorted out on the case. I wouldnt worry about it to much. Just make sure in the future you tape off any bare metal wires that could touch something else. As for your parts They should be fine unless theres some obvious problem. The only thing I can see being a sleeper problem is the ram. You could run a test on that if you felt like it but My hunch is that you will be OK.

I lost a 9500 pro to this when a fan connector fell of a hit the legs on a video ram chip. Thank goodness for No Questions returns at circuit city. :thumbs-up:

:Lesson of the day: Tape Up All Exposed Wires

Guest Jeremy

This same thing happened to me a while ago. I think it shut off because all of the power transferred to the metal of the case. But I just booted mine back up and i'm typing on it today, so I think you'll be fine.