X30 Laptop Makes Me Wanna Burn Stuff

Yes, so anyway, I was loaned this thinkpad x30 so I could work. When I was loaned this laptop, it would shut down randomly -- this is expected, as my uncle (who loaned it), had this problem.

Well for a month the darn thing would shut down randomly, driving me insane as it is required of me to use a laptop during work. This continued until I broke down and installed winXP over the prior win2k OS. Everything runs smooth...except the initial problem:

The cpu/case fan doesn't run. I mean it does, in that it runs during power up and then stops after about three seconds, and will not run until I play ragnarok online or some game that requires full system resources. So we're talking about a laptop that will start at 48*C and go hot hot hot until it goes above 60*C and then poof, instability.

Is there a way to force the fan to run while the cpu is idle, or failing that, if I were to buy a usb fan, where would I put it? Or what else can I do?

It could very well be something else, like a psu issue, but in any case, if I were to say 'my laptop shuts down randomly...and only when it goes over 60*C', then what?

511573[/snapback]

60c is very hott problay won't work well under those tempchures and shutsdown.

They do sell lap top coolers that have 2 fans on the bottom blowing constantly for $20-$40 USD and give you more usb slots.

something is definately not right then maybe the thermal sensor is shot and just doesnt know what temparature its at

my p3 laptop just has its fan on 24/7 as its folding i hope it wont screw the fan eventually because i would have to do some modding because a replacement will prolly cost an arm and a leg