250gb Seagate Drive At Tigerdirect

ClayMeow

I'd like a big harddrive for storage and/or to install games onto (instead of having to only have a few installed at a time).

Is this one any good?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...28&sku=THD-250A

Does it matter that it's only ATA100?

I currently have 2 36gb raptors in raid, and then an ata133 60gb drive.

Thanks.

If you're going to be using this for storage, then ATA100 will be fine. It's 7200RPM and has a 8MB cache, so it's a good hard drive in general. However, don't expect amazing load times for games if you plan on installing them on this drive. I'm pretty sure you are used to low load times with your 36GB Raptors, but this won't be nearly as fast. Though it's still better than hard drives with either 2MB cache or are 5400RPM. In conclusion, 80 bucks for that Seagate drive is a pretty good deal.

well ATA100 HDDs can usually do just aswell at ATA133 drives. i dont think you will really care about the difference for storage, and jsut install your older games that load fast anyway on that drive.

good points. yeah, i don't think load times is a big deal, but do u think it would be worth $30 to go with a sata one instead:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1197384&CatId=0

How is seagate as a brand? All of my harddrives, even my ide ones in all the computers i've built have always been WD (except for one maxtor awhile back).

there's also this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1433488&CatId=0

a sata-II drive, but i don't even think my mobo can technically handle it, and by the time i'm ready for a new mobo, there will probably be sata-III or IV out by then.

i love my seagate drive very quite and no problmes yet and it's got that 5- year warrenty like nemo said :)

and in my opinnion if your just useing it for storage then sata isnt rly that important i mean im getting away with ata 66 and 33..............

i love my seagate drive very quite and no problmes yet and it's got that 5- year warrenty like nemo said :)

and in my opinnion if your just useing it for storage then sata isnt rly that important i mean im getting away with ata 66 and 33..............

510836[/snapback]

ata33! dang! lol. well i guess you're right, if it's for storage, i don't need the sata. I guess with 250gb, i can move a lot of stuff from my current drives to that one, making room for more games/programs to install on my faster drives, so yeah, i guess I wouldn't have to worry about installing stuff on the 250gb one.

Thanks for the advice guys. And glad you all like your seagates :)

I've heard horror stories, but I got my $40 dollars of rebates withing 2 months of purchase thru paypal, so i would buy from there again. I am in canada so i cant buy the grat deals of newegg :(