Big Problem, Need Help Plz!

Stadler

Well here is my issue. I currently have a ATI 9700 Pro 128MB, have owned it for around 2 years. Last summer, I had a what seemed to be overheat problem which may of damaged part of the chip. During this stage, I would see red lines and blue boxes around my screen and polygon artifacts while playing games. Try and hold yourself from laughing but from time to time my solution was to reach in my case and bend it by the corner.

For a year I had no problem with the card, until now when it started restarting my comp acting in BF2 but seemed to work fine on the desktop. I doubt there is a solution except buy a new card but thought I would ask first!

http://www.savitagames.com/Stadler/screen059.jpg

Well, you could get a new 6800NU from Newegg for a little less than $200 if you wanted, that 9700 Pro won't hold forever. But it sounds like a simple cooling issue. If you bent the corner of the card, and it went away, it sounds as if the core isn't making proper contact with the heatsink. And when you bent the card, the core made more contact than it was with when you didn't have it bent.

If you've got it oc'ed, put it back to stock, and buy an ATi silencer. I've got a hunch that the card itself works fine, but the core isn't making proper contact with the heatsink. If it was due to old age, if you bent the card anywhere, it would more than likely keep artifacting.