Cpu Fan Backwards!

Sheepy

Hi,

I was woundering can you turn your cpu fan around so it pulls hot air away from cpu??

Also has any body tried this at all?

sheepy :withstupid:

:bah:

You can do this, but most heatsinks will not cool as effectively with the fan pulling air upwards. The XP-120 actually performs just about the same with the fan either way though, from the tests I've seen. There are a few others too, but most perform much worse.

The reason it doesn't work so well is that the air getting sucked up through the heatsink doesn't get to the center of the heatsink as well as it does the outside. The effect is that the outside of the heatsink is cooled well, while the center (or core) stays much hotter. This is very hard to describe in words, but I'm sure some searching will yeild an illustration to show it a little better.

I have turned mine around for now, to see what will happen.

Before i was hitting temps like 50 to 54 at full load sometimes hotter.

I been having major heat problems at the mo with the hot weather so to me anything is worth a try.

I have 4 fans on me comp in total. Any idea as to which way they work best.

I have fan on top, one on side an one at back an cpu an 2 small fans on hdd

i have accidentally put on my fan backwards during routine cleaning on a volcano 12+. it was about 4 deg. hotter than normal as a result. i couldnt for the life of me find out why until i took off the side and realized the airflow out from it was battlig the side casefan intake fan....anyway, there you go. 4 deg. for me.

I have 4 fans on me comp in total. Any idea as to which way they work best.

I have fan on top, one on side an one at back an cpu an 2 small fans on hdd

510589[/snapback]

A "generic" common config for 4 fans would be front intake, rear exhaust, top exhaust, and side intake. Higher fans usually make best exhausts, while lower ones like the front one make better intake fans.

A "generic" common config for 4 fans would be front intake, rear exhaust, top exhaust, and side intake. Higher fans usually make best exhausts, while lower ones like the front one make better intake fans.

511109[/snapback]

sry - gotta counter that. intake fans should be stringer since the distance to the cpu is much higher than the exhaust fans...

you are right if you've got the upside down MOBO setup.