Dell Vs Custom Built (by Me)

wanksta

So i am trying to convience a friend that i should build him a computer, instead of getting a Dell. He is up for it, but his mom won't hear of it. She thinks that dells are more reliable. :lol::lol:

i have built like 12 comps total and i or the people i built them for have not had a singe problem with any of them yet B:)

I told him if his mom wants to get a dell it is up to her :sleep:

Dude, yer gettin a Dell!

Sounds to me like his mom is paying for this thing (otherwise she wouldn't have a say). Therefore, it's going to be an uphill battle. What makes it worse is that she probably has no clue other than what she's heard from all of her equally clueless friends, which means that using logic and explaining parts and benefits probably won't get you anywhere. Plus, if you do build the thing, she will be forever looking for a reason to blame you, I bet. Sound like a tough situation, but hey.... dells are ........ great........

ha ha working with a mom.......... the last thing i want to do is be logical :lol: and explain benefites and cost

I will tell her how i FEEL...... <_<

but seriously, i kno he is going to end up having problesm with the dell and i will have to fix them, that is the worst part

Personally, I don't deal with Dell (or similar propriety builders :P) but looking @ it in a noob term of reference (this guy's Mom) she's thinking warranty, after sales service & support... things flouted in Ad campaigns from large PC providers ;)

Dude it's you Vs. Dell propaganda... good luck! :P:lol:

Edited by tazwegion

That is completely true... but note you said MOST of the parts, some people like a warranty where they can just take it to the PC shop and let them fix it under total PC warranty, that's it ;)

Like I said Dell propaganda! :P:lol:

the other problem people run into is that the average person can't just troubleshoot their own computer like we can. With someone like that i honestly think it would be better to get a dell. Their computers suck but if they break they will either help you fix it or replace it. In my case, i only care about having warrenties on expensive things. like if a fan dies, i rather just buy a new one lol

I've built probably around 1000 computers. Problems are usually because of the person using them. Had a few boards do weird things though. You can usually build a computer cheaper than Dell and get exactly what you want. Dell's aren't very cheap either. If something happens to a Dell, parts are EXPENSIVE. You gotta have their parts, and it's like 100 bucks for their crappy power supplies.

You should tell her about their "tech support" in India.

You gotta have their parts, and it's like 100 bucks for their crappy power supplies.

510859[/snapback]

From dell maybe - but I see replacement dell psu's for like 30 bucks all the time...they are mostly just 200w POS's with different wiring.