3000 Sempron

would a 3000 sempron be good enough for semi gaming like warcraft 3? building this for a friend... so yeah, o yeah paired up with 512mb of ram... and if compared to a athlon... what would it be comparable too? would it be faster then my 2600+ barton, since the 3000 sempron is suppose to have a barton core with 512k of cache... thanks

I am using a socket754 sempron 3000+ for my main rig (yes i have AMD64 3200+'s in 2 other rigs but for some reason I have the sempron in my main one) and even at stock speed this thing plays games just as well (visibly) as my AMD64 3200+. I overclocked the sempron to 2.4Ghz and it outperforms the AMD64 in every day tasking, and still plays the latest games just as well as the AMD64. Granted the processor is paired with an x700pro and a gig of pc3200, but it's still a beast for the money you pay. For the price tag ($94), it CAN NOT be beat.

edit: games i play, HL2, BF2, everything latest and greatest at pretty much maxed out settings. BF2: 1024x768, 72hz, everything on high, 4x AA. 0 lag

It would happen to depend on the video card you're gonna pair that CPU up with. Also, if you plan on decent gaming, I'd have to say a gig of RAM would help out quite a bit.

Yeah best bang for the buck may very well be that CPU, btw i got loarmisteads to the 2.4 on stock cooling load temps of around 48C had to give it a little voltage, but not much to get it there. (1.5 i think) i see the CPU with better cooling easily hitting 2.6-2.7 heck it may even be able to do 2.8 with water....we do plan on playing with ti and better coolign later on.

It would happen to depend on the video card you're gonna pair that CPU up with. Also, if you plan on decent gaming, I'd have to say a gig of RAM would help out quite a bit.

CPU isn't going to be your bottleneck as much as your videocard will be. Especially if you want to run new games. I would go with geforce 6 series or higher, I have the fx5900xt and it will run battlefield 2 on medium settings. Geforce 6600GT at newegg was around 160 after rebates, then go with like a 2800+ or something along there, that will keep you happy for a while.

edit: warcraft 3 doesn't require as much, my athlon 2400+ ran it perfect and as for graphics card probably doesn't need geforce 6 series but better to go best for the buck if you can afford it.

For ram you can get away with 768MB if you tweak the services and msconfig windows (assuming your on a windows 2000/xp machine), and possibly even 512mb. Even with my system tweaked to about 120mb on boot, ut2004 would still page to the harddrive with 512MB of ram, thats why I have 1GIG of ram. I know newegg has a lot of package deals for 512/1024MB of ram.

Edited by xaos

yah, i was about to make a new thread about this.

i want a laBtop and i wanted to save $. and now i am going to buy a sempron.

BTW did you know the sempron have hyper transport. i didn't.