Help With Fedora Install

travitt

I am a total newbie. I'm trying to install fedora core 3 from the linux for dummies dvd onto my winbook j1 laptop. It's a p3 with 504 megs of RAM.

It gets to "waiting for x-sever to start," and then goes to black screen for hours. I've tried to change the screen res to make sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. It's driving me nuts and I am close to giving up.

do u know to be honest i think it might be better if u downloaded ur own discs off the internet, just cos some of these magazines put other stuff onto their cd's and confuses issues.

Try that - and specs of ur laptop might give us a clue.

It never gets to a gui mode at all.

I just installed the version of Xandros that came on the DVD, and it installed OK, but won't see my usb memory or my wireless card.

Ubuntu is next.

BTW, I had a copy of F-Core 2 that I downloaded myself and it behaved the same way.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying because I have come to despise MS, but if this keeps up, I'm just gonna have to go back until I can afford a Mac.