Hot Ram

well last night i left memtest 86+ running for 8 hours on test 6 with my ram overclocked too 230mhz @ 2.5-3-2-5...i know the timings arent great but this is PQI ram here...not the best stuff in the world but hey it gets it done at 1:1...anyways...i have a Zalman cooler on the CPU so thats not an issue but i didnt have any fans running on my ram and i guess since both sticks got so hot they really started trashing data...i booted into XP and my mouse was not recognized sounds were all screwed up and my icons were trashed as well..i laughed because i knew why this had happened so i shut it down and set a box fan on my now open case..left for about 30 minutes and came back...voila it started with no complaints and everything was back to normal...dont ask about my voltages or anything..i know everything is stable..ive checked my rails with a multimeter...i just know my RAM got a little too warm....lol...anyone else had anything like this happen?

my sound gets screwed up if the case temp gets to hot and the southbridge doesnt get enough airflow to it.

never experienced overheating ram even with 2.9v with no heatsink or fan over them.

Edited by evanin

the ram is sinked...i had 2.90 volts running through it...im not the most familiar with all the ram chips (BH5, TCCD, and a few others are all i know of) but i do know that my ram does not like the juice above 3.1 volts...altho i am tempted to take it up to 4 if i get some better ram just to kill these sticks for the fun of it...ive also heard that ramsinks can keep in the heat rather than spread it out and get rid of it...just what ive heard @ xtremesystems.org...

when you say "ramsinks" do you actually mean heatspreaders? i don't consider a small, thin flat sheet of metal a heatsink... to me, a heatsink needs to have ribs or fins...

in either case it might help if you improved your side intake rather than waste money on ramsinks/heatspreaders

I have gotten ram pretty dang hot before and never had that happen, so I am not too sure it is due to your ram being too hot. Sounds like good old fashioned driver or OS corruption to me.

I guess it depends on what ram chips you have. I run my hynix-b chips at 3v for 24/7 use, but they are well cooled. if I take off my cooling for them they are no longer stable at 240mhz 2.5-3-3, and hot to the touch. The heatspreaders, in my experience, only hold in heat when they are not actively cooled and are using lower voltages - the ram doesnt heat up enough to transfer the heat to the spreaders when using low volts so the heat just kinda stays on chips building up. Even a slight breeze over ram with heatspreaders using high volts will make a difference...I got ~4 more stable mhz out of cooling my ram - doesnt sound like much but thats 44mhz more if I use my max multi ;).

I have no idea if that corruption really was your ram though.