My Budget Hi-fi!

markiemrboo

Got my amp and speakers this morning. I'm actually quite impressed. It's nothing special, but it's my first proper set of speakers type thing and I am pleased with it - which is all that really counts, right? :)

The photo is a little dark, but ... you probably get the picture anyways. On top of the new speakers are my old 5.1 speakers, the front two. I uhm... they actually sound really crap in comparison :lol: I just couldn't be bothered to disassemble those so... they're staying there for now.

unigine_20110502_1426.html

..... and I can tell left from right despite it all being so close together :P I can tell much better than the left and right from the 5.1's. I will miss surround sound with games though :(

Well, there you go. I'm happy for the day!

A really good 2.1 will beat surround sound thats crap anyday, trust me. I have a set of studio monitor speakers , like yours they have no sub, but they sound awsome paired with an audigy 2, and your right about the left/right thing although true stereo must have speakers at least 6 feet apart, do that and they WILL sound even better!

A really good 2.1 will beat surround sound thats crap anyday, trust me. I have a set of studio monitor speakers , like yours they have no sub, but they sound awsome paired with an audigy 2, and your right about the left/right thing although true stereo must have speakers at least 6 feet apart, do that and they WILL sound even better!

509802[/snapback]

Yeses. But I still like surround sound for games was all I was saying :P It's weird not being able to tell where something is firing from.

Mine are.... well.... they're Monitor speakers, supposedly. In fact, the model of them is "Monitor III" :) They have a little bass port thing underneath the speaker, which is quite weird. Most have them on the back don't they? Still, just as "bassy" as the sub on my old speakers really so it's all good.

One final point from me... screw the Audigy 2... :) Happy with my card thanks ;)

pu the REAR speakers behind you it will sound better

and center the CENTER speaker below or on top of the LCD

You seem to have totally missed the point. I'm getting rid of my 5.1 speakers (the little ones you can see) and replacing them with my new bigger speakers + amp :) I have 2 more speakers behind me, they're the rears. But obviously, since photographs are 2D, you can't see those ones :)

mine don't have base ports, they have full range diaphrams instead, they don't need base ports.

guess how old they are( funny thing is they sound better than alot of newer speakers)

17 years old! :lol:

Edited by aaronamd

mine don't have base ports, they have full range diaphrams instead, they don't need base ports.

guess how old they are( funny thing is they sound better than alot of newer speakers)

17 years old! :lol:

509825[/snapback]

Relics :)

While we are talking monitors (and old speakers), check these out.

This is what we have in the living room.. they certainly aren't er... small.

About 20 years old I think.

yamaha4av.jpg

Fortunately I didn't buy them, I can blame my dad for that.

I have no idea how much they were.

If you are at all interested, this is what is attached to them.

copland2we.jpg

Copland CDA 266

croft2fh.jpg

Croft Vitale SC Preamp (valves)

croftp2nj.jpg

Croft Power Amp (valves). Not available commercially.. kinda bespoke.

linn6bk.jpg

Linn Sondek LP12.. we've had this for as long as I can remember (probably before I was born). Has gone through a few upgrades (tone arm, motor belt etc.)

nakamichi5mg.jpg

Nakamichi BX-2 Tape Deck.. again, pretty old I think.