Telnet Server

aaronamd

I'm building a linux machine that is going to be a web/FTP/fileserver/telnet server

the telnet part is so that I can tunnel into my network at home from the schools computers and use my internet, I'm doing this because I can't access the forums from school (they block everything). so how would I set up telnet on linux? and accomplish what I what to do here?

You may want to consider SSH over telnet if you can.

If you really can't, then do be warned that everything sent over a telnet session is sent in clear text, non encypted, and that includes the username and password.

To enable telnet you'll want to be looking at inetd ... or xinetd. I think modern Linux distros may come with xinetd now? Which..... I have never touched :)

I know about the non encryption part, I just don't want to be bothered setting up keys. I herd that ssh is alot more difficult to set up too. is it?

509805[/snapback]

You dont have to set up keys, or atleast I didn't. I remember seeing something about keys the first time I set up this BSD box, so maybe the BSD's do it all automatically for you ;)

SSH is simple to set up.

• Install SSH
  • Run `sshd`

NO ports are blocked, just content filtered :lol:

what port is ssh anyway?

509818[/snapback]

ok then, it should work. i know my school blocks content and ports, but i can still get onto OCC and i also have a script that lets me get to any site