Replacing Hard Drive

i got a dell inspiron 1100, the hard drive i belives is dead as window xp setup detects it as defective... if i was to get a hard drive of newegg... how hard would it be to install it or should i just have them do it?

HDs are very easy to install. Just remember to set up the jumpers correctly.

With the allegedly defective drive, did you try to reformat it? The file system could just be corrupt.

edit: nevermind about the reformat. I thought you said windows xp says defective, not setup. Still, press R at the setup and run fdisk /? and find out how to delete any partitions and reformat. Did this drive work before?

And the jumpers. It is a laptop, so dont worry about that either. Just check if the old drive has a Dell proprietary connector (i think the 1100s do). And switch it over.

Edited by martymcfly

this is a laptop. On inspiron 1100, slide out HD mount, remove 4 screws, remove HD, remove proprietary connector from HD, put proprietary connector on new HD, screw new hd into casing, slide casing into computer. There ya go. I have done this twice or thrice, can't remember.

on the back of the laptop there is only 2 caps to take off, one is to access the memory bank, and the other one is for something else not quite sure, but not the hard drive... would i have to take off the whole back lid? i think the only way, but i dont wanna open it before i know what im doing... thanks