Monitor Fan

i was sitting here looking though the mod sites and saw a mouse pad with a fan. this got me thinking, maybe I could do something like attach 5 fans or something to my monitor and run the wires to the back of my computer where I have an external molex port. This would be pretty freakin awesome if i could get it to work and work nicely.

One problem i see with this though is my parents. i once was going to paint my case and they started saying i was obbessed with my computer so i had to stop talking about it or risk getting grounded, but maybe someone else could try it... its something like run a molex to a pci slot cover in the back of your case (like having an external port) and then have some fans attached to the monitor with power cables spliced together, and they can maybe be posistioned to point at you and blow air to help cool you down...

What problems might there be in something like this, is one connector able to handle the requirements of 5 fans... and also, what about the fans themselves. i dont know much about electricity and resistors and stuff, but i want to learn. Sorry for rambling, but yeah, i was wondering what kind of problems might be encountered.

oh yeah, could there be a switch added too?

This isnt really a cooling question, its more of a mod... so i put it here by the way

Most fans have pass-through connectors (with a female AND a male0. you can chain fans together like this and just connect with one molex. It would be pretty cool. They sell sets of like 12 fans in a square mounting for servers. I was going to buy one at a hamfest (with 12 150mm 24V fans) for 10 bucks, but for some reason I didnt (stupid).

12 fans dont make squares... just fyi

but maybe like a 3x3 or 4x4... that's not a bad idea.. just find somewhere to mount and angle....

i found an external molex connector for sale, so that would work, but the problem would be mounting somewhere where i can remove fast and take to lans... because i do small ones with my friends about once every 2 weeks... and its gets hot (one friends parents have the air set at 80f in a Texas summer)

i once was going to paint my case and they started saying i was obbessed with my computer so i had to stop talking about it or risk getting grounded

508963[/snapback]

??? Do your parents think computers are evil or something? :)

If they ever have a problem with you liking computers, just tell them that you could pick up another hobbie... like say.... crystal meth :P That always worked on mine when I was younger :)

i realized that when i was typing, but never corrected it. It is a square mounting (fans not EXACTLY touching). for the mounting, be creative. Maybe have a metal backing about an inch up the device, perpendicular. Put some double sided tape on this. Then it would be sitting on the top edge of the monitor, overlapping the casing.

that was my original thought... wish id had some fans today... it was freaking hot at my friends house.... an a/c that sucks and 6 computers 6 people all running at the same time... i didnt have any air moving around me... AND it smelled like crap (ciggarette smoke, friend that smells nasty, etc)

yeah, those fans would've been nice.

What if i bought some velcro and some cheap black fans, velcroed the left right and top sides of my monitor, and put velcro on the fans. then stuck the fans on and have like a fan controller connected to one molex from all n(number) fans to speed them up or slow them down

about the obbsession thing... they think that doing anything like painting is going to far... i have to stagger my computers parts, buy something that isnt a piece of hardware inbetween large purchases... or else they wont let me use their credit card. "all your money is spent on computers parts. This is a bad thing, you have to learn to spend your money wisely, learn lifeskills" (this is funny because i charge a low $10/hr. to fix peoples computers from my church and it gets me lots of money. getting a job is a lifeskill. but i cant question their logic w/o getting grounded so whatever)

Guest Raven65

Sounds nice , but wht not just buy a clipon fan thingy and use that. Do you really want to use the extra power from your psu for something that might or might not cool you that well.

its that i want to say, "i did this" and go to my friends and say, "you didnt think of this"

and maybe it would be good for cooling too. but none of my friends do any modding... they just buy cases with lights and rounded cables, so i want to be the first

get 12 vantec tornados and it will cool u down :D

509839[/snapback]

and go deft at the same time!

Its a weird idea, not many quiet fans blow enough air for you to feel it a few feet away.