My Command Center

Verran

Well, some of you may have noticed I have been posting a lot more than normal during the last few days, so I thought I'd tell my story.

I little while ago, I mentioned that I found out I had skin cancer in my left foot. As to how someone who hates the sun gets skin cancer on the bottom of their foot, I will never know. :P

But I went in to have my "wide margin excision" on monday, and I'm pretty confined to my bed for the next month or so. My folks have been awesome enough to take me in and wait on my hand in foot while I recover, and luckily my grandmother lives with them now too, so she's been making me banana creme pies on demand :P

Anyways, they rented me one of those power hospitol beds with a remote and one of those lab table things so I can put an LCD on there and have my trusty winchester at my side. So I've surrounded this hoptiol bed with my borrowed LCD, keyboard, mouse, game controllers, headphones, games, DVDs, a fan, tons of snacks, and my deitel C++ book :) All I have access to at the moment is a crappy cell phone camera, but at least you get the idea:

commandcenter.jpg

So I'll be here until the 21st, when I go into the hospitol for my plastic surgery where they're going to reconstruct the damage done while cleaning out the tumor in my foot. After that, I'll be stuck in the hospitol for 7 days with NO COMPUTER, and if I don't die from lack of a PC, I'll be back to this bed for more recovery.

Anyways, the good news is that after all my biopsies and PET/CT scans and everything, they tell me that the tough part is over and all of the cancer is out of me, so now it's just the reconstruction and recovery phase. And for you surgery channel geeks out there, I'll put a link to the pic of my open wound below. It's gross, but not too bad given that it's from the same low res camera, so you can't see too much detail.

Warning! - Gross surgery pic - View at own risk :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/Bre...oleinmyfoot.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First person I've heard of whose had cancer in their foot.

I bet you feel really unlucky for that.

Then again, you could get it in much worse places.

Hope you enjoy your recovery.. and 7 days without a computer! Don't know if I would survive either.

wow, thats a big hole in your foot.... hope you get better soon! and 7 days..... thats gonna be a hard one :P at least your out of the danger zone now, to live on many more yeras in frount of your monitor.

First person I've heard of whose had cancer in their foot.

I bet you feel really unlucky for that.

Then again, you could get it in much worse places.

Hope you enjoy your recovery.. and 7 days without a computer! Don't know if I would survive either.

508908[/snapback]

Actually... all things considered.... I think I'm really lucky. I know a lady at work that had breast cancer, and she had to have ALL of her lymph nodes taken out, simply becuase the cancer started so centrally in the body that they couldn't know for sure where it would go next.

With my foot, I can't think of any place that's further from all my major organs, and that's a good thing :)

As far as the 7 days of comptuerlessness..... I don't know what I'm going to do. I guess I could play solitaire with actual cards :P

By the way out of curiosity, what were your symptoms before you knew you had cancer????

508954[/snapback]

Funny you should ask....

I actually went to a foot doctor because I had a growth on the ball of my foot. I've had a callus (sp?) there since as long as I could remember, so I figured that it had something to do with that. They told me it was a cyst. Specifically, they said it was a ganglean cyst, which is when you get a sliver or something under the skin, and your body builds the cyst around it to isolate it from your body.

So they did the first surgery to remove the cyst, and sent it off to pathology "just to be sure". Sure enough, the pathology showed a malignant melanoma. After that, they knew they had to redo the surgery since they had to take a wide margin of skin around the tumor to make sure they got everything. At that point, they started scheduling all the CT scans and blood tests and all of that fun stuff.

Weird thing is that until about two months ago, I had a clean health record. No broken bones, stitches, cavities, allergies, nothing. Now I'm something of a pro at all these appointments and surgeries :)

umm i would take my laptop lol

I bet your gonna HATE sitting around after about aweek, i persoanally coundn't stand being inside that long....

508916[/snapback]

yea no kidding... Bring your laptop and see if the hospital has wifi, or a network port somewhere nearby. Bring games and a laptop cooler in case there is no net. :)

yea no kidding... Bring your laptop and see if the hospital has wifi, or a network port somewhere nearby.  Bring games and a laptop cooler in case there is no net. :)

509409[/snapback]

I don't have a laptop. I really have no use for one 99% of the time. Everytime I think about buying a laptop, I realize that I don't need it and get another desktop :P

I figure for the 7 days I'll be doing a lot of sleeping and reading.