Super-long Boot?

demigod

Well, I decided today that I wanted to move some fans around and generally provide better airflow, because my temps have always bothered me. While I was at it I cleaned the dust out with the canned air stuff, and put it all back together. I turn on my computer after reassembly and I get a screen that says, "Windows didn't start because of some hardware changes or something blah blah blah". Perplexed, I just choose 'Start windows normally' and it immediately goes to a black screen and hangs for about 20 seconds. Then, the windows loading bar pops up, and that goes for its normal time, then I get another black screen for about a minute. Then it jumps to the desktop.

Overall, this problem has increased my boot time by at least 100%. The funny thing is, no other times are increased, say for loading game levels and such. I have no idea what is going on.

EDIT: Oh, and shutdown times are longer too... just hangs at the 'Windows is shutting down' screen.

Edited by demigod

this may help, make these changes in the registry.

Dramatically improve menu speeds and application and system shutdown/restart speeds

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

HungAppTimeout=4000 Delay before a hung application is allowed to terminate (each 1000 = 1 sec)

WaitToKillAppTimeout=4000 Delay before windows finally starts to shutdown (each 1000 = 1 sec)

MenuShowDelay=20 Delay before a menu pops open. (each 1000 = 1 sec)

AutoEndTasks=1 Automatically closes running applications when Windows shuts down.

may help other then that, defrag, disk clean up and msconfig.

my puter did that where it would take forever to boot, then forever to shut down (if I even got a chance to shut down, usually it would cut off by itself :angry2: ). So I was stumped, I mean stumped...

then I realize that at the time I was building/fixing 3 computers, and I got sidetracked and forgot to install the chipset drivers on my main rig in the mass pc confusion... Believe me, installing chipset drivers REALLY, REALLY....helps. eheh. :rolleyes: