Locked Hdd?

swifty11212

my dad's hp rig got a 160gig hdd, went through a few reformats but recently i tried fedora core 4, now i want to put back windows but all i get is a blank screen. i tried this hdd on a few other rigs (not mines yet) too see if it works, same problem yet it loads up linux. could it be a locked seagate? im going to :google: and hope i find answers.

Ehh, I know you said you did a few reformats earlier but hook that 160 up as a slave in another computer and make sure the OEM recovery partition isn't still there. If the recovery partition is still there, it will sometimes lock up when you try to put a fresh install of windows on. If it is there... format it lol. When I had to do it to my 200, windows wouldn't format the partition so i had to use PartitionMagic.

thing is, the first month of having that prebuilt (1 or 2 years ago) i destroyed all partitions and put xp pro. i lost xp home, but still got my key stored safely. normally the system would work right till now after tying to remove linux. now im using windows 98 to low level format it. so far it shows up as 20 gigs. after that ill hookit up in my rig and change it back to 160gigs...hopefully it works. ive been searching google for unlocking hdds, so fars it confusing and most deals with the noob-box (x-box).