Dual Opertrons Beter Than Dual Core Op?

i was reading up on the 4-Cpu Gaming Server thread here on OCC and realized it goes with my Mb related thread My Other Thread my question is if i got 2x AMD Dual-Core Opteron 265 Italy 1GHz FSB Socket 940 Processor's would it be a huge change in performace in a Adobe Permeire with a 2hour movie clips and or other huge rendering files. i mean the change from 3000+ (30min for a 4min file) to a 3700+ (same file 8min) is huge! would it be alot smarter just to get a Amd X2 4800+ or 2x AMD Opteron 248 )ending up costing the same) do the job right?

the questions are

---------

1. will i get a big benifit from 2x 248 compared to the X2 4800+ , i know the opetrons will be 2 way and the X2 are only one way and the speed diffrence in rendering is?

2. the dual core dual cpu be worth it as i will be doing huge movie editing and no i wont be limited to my ram im plaing on getting 4Gb's

3. what do you see in the long run? would investing 2grand in cpu's be worth it or would it be best to just upgrade from $400 cpu's to the ones that are $800 now and will be $400 next year and so on, keeping the price down but upgradable good.

any ideas would be great.

Edited by hornybluecow

you'll spend a lot more on the opterons in the long run, and might not be able to upgrade to the dual core opterons either. factor a good board might run you $400, 4gb of registered ECC should go for $600 or more. now you have to power the monster, cool it, and keep it happy.

sure it'll be faster than the X2... but it's not 100% that it can be upgraded, and it'll cost you more than double.