Evil Folding For Good?

robAP

so i'm thinking at work (cause at cruise theres not much going on, now im at a crew base and can type) and was thinking, about all these viruses, of wich one really nasty so far unnamed one got me last week. people program them to do bad things or screw stuff up. well what about a evil virus that does good when it infects? has anyone ever tried to program a virus that takes over a computer at night and begins folding anonymously for good? and no other purpose? just weasel it's way in there and fold?

i wonder....

oh and im not going to do anything resembling this action.

time to go back to work...cya tomorrow

This has been done and caused a lot of grief at Stanford. Some guy managed to borg a lot of machines. He lost all his points when Stanford figured out who it was. Unfortunately, the loader he wrote still pops up now and again and puts folding on unsuspecting users' machines. It ends up giving Stanford and folding a black eye and they take it very seriously. I know you weren't serious about doing this, I just thought I'd remind others of the consequences.

yeah i thought if it did happen it would look bad for folding and it would be looked upon as a virus from then on.

goes to show that whatever you think of..someone somewhere has alos/about to/has done it.

Not this again. Sounds good @ first thought. But then U think about how the rest of the world views comps. See the problem. Besides its 'cheating' is it not?

BTW all my comps are offline for the week sense i'm out of town. :(

BTW thayt may become a sig quote for me KB. :)