Some Venice Questions...

Ok, so I'm debating getting a venice... I want a chip that will actually OC. I'm entirely concerned with FSB, I don't care if I step the multi down a notch or two, I just wanna push the FSB as high as I can.

Now here's the thing... I've been reading a these sites:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62353

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001

Plus just generally looking around xtremesystems. It seems like 3000's tend to do better than 3200's. Not just relatively either, but like max high speed wise. It also seems like the later weeks (past 17) seem to not perform as well, atleast in the 3200's.

First question: Anyone have good luck with the early 20's weeks that are coming out of newegg and such? I would love to hear about people who have just recently gotten one of these chips from newegg or zzf.

Second question: I'm actually thinking of going 3000 over 3200 just because they seem to do so well and plus it'll save me about $50. Given my goal of flat out FSB with little concern for multi, does that make sense?

Third question: I read on xtremesystems that as of the 24th of last month, people were still finding week 17s. Do you guys know of smaller online stores that may still have them. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if I knew it was a good week. I have tried calling local PC stores in my area and asking about venices, but none of them even have them, and one store didn't even know what I meant by venice! :(

Any info would be great, thanks all...

Actually you are going about it all wrong. If you hit the clockspeed you want on the chip, it really doesn't matter how you get there. The HTT and memory speed really don't change performance much at all (0-5% max). There were a few threads about it on extremesystems where they benched at a bunch of different memory speeds and timings and the largest difference between pc3000 @2-2-2 and pc4700 @2.5-3-3 was 2% on gaming tests. The only thing that the pc4700 had going for it was winrar archiving...so if that's all you'll be doing then by all means go for a crazy fsb.

You'll be fine as long as your memory is running a decent (pc3200) speed. Unlike p4's and XP's, the A64 isn't starved for bandwidth. Even when they tested at ddr260 the drop in performance was at most 7% in games.

Also, the HTT bus doesn't change the performance AT ALL from ~600 and up. So don't worry about dropping the LDT multiplier down from 5x to 4x or even 3x.

/rant :D

im not too sure on the LDT, but any ways i have a week 19 LBBLE venice, so far max stable on air is 2.5ghz (using multi of 10) it seems past that i get very unstable. I might need to cool it better because i am using stock cooling after all.

im not too sure on the LDT, but any ways i have a week 19 LBBLE venice, so far max stable on air is 2.5ghz (using multi of 10) it seems past that i get very unstable. I might need to cool it better because i am using stock cooling after all.

508220[/snapback]

Try dropping the LDT multi from 5x down to 4x...your's is probably running at 1250 right now with your 250 bus speed. :)

Well, all of the numbers and comparisons lack just enough context to where I'm not really sure what you're comparing.

My point initially was something along the lines of:

I would MUCH rather have my system at 320x8 than 250x10.

There are several reasons for this...

First of all, I would like to test out the effects of a low multi / high FSB setup in gaming. Lots of people seem to think that as long as you hit your target clock speed, that's all that matters. I don't think that. I could very well be completely wrong, but I'd like to test it out first hand.

Second, it's more fun to watch the FSB keep on climbing. I've never had a chip that just keeps going up into the FSB scale, and I think this next chip could be the one.

Third, my winchester gave me an extra 500mhz overall clock speed, but I'm only getting an 8mhz OC out of my ram because of this stupid 5:6 divider. Overall I'm not really impressed with the difference that it's made. I want to compare that to something with a big FSB and lower multi.

Now granted, I'd REALLY love to have a high FSB and a high multi, but in my budget range, I don't really see that happening.

So anyways, I hope that makes some sense.

First of all, I would like to test out the effects of a low multi / high FSB setup in gaming.  Lots of people seem to think that as long as you hit your target clock speed, that's all that matters.  I don't think that.  I could very well be completely wrong, but I'd like to test it out first hand.

508233[/snapback]

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...0&enterthread=y

While it isn't testing yourself, it shows that the memory speed and the fsb really don't matter much at all. They did with the older Athlon XP's and with even the current P4's, but not the A64.

Third question:  I read on xtremesystems that as of the 24th of last month, people were still finding week 17s.  Do you guys know of smaller online stores that may still have them.  I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if I knew it was a good week.  I have tried calling local PC stores in my area and asking about venices, but none of them even have them, and one store didn't even know what I meant by venice! :(

Any info would be great, thanks all...

508193[/snapback]

Quoting myself to bump the main portion of my question....

Quoting myself to bump the main portion of my question....

508236[/snapback]

I dunno about that part. I know that Newegg's stock of them is probably the later weeks. I've got my fingers crossed on mine (arriving tomorrow).

That comparison is interesting, and something I hadn't thought of, but not really what I'm talking about. His point that you should get value ram and invest the savings in a better video card makes a lot of sense, but I'm actually thinking about this:

A venice 3000+ at 325x8 = 2600mhz

A venice 3500+ at 236x11 = 2596mhz

These are basically the same chip (instruction set wise) and the same clock speed, but I'd like to see how they compare in benches (and therefore gaming). Crunching SuperPI is fun, and boy would I love to get under 30s for 1M, but what I really want is gaming performance. My estimation is that a higher FSB is going to be better for gaming, and a higher multi is going to be better for something like SuperPI crunches or winrar decoding/encoding. Again, this is a guess and I could very well be totally wrong, but I want to find out.

This is different from your comparison which always has the HTT and multi the same, and just changes the divider settings on the memory.

Does that make sense?