Sign in to follow this  
Archerzz

Why Build A Computer

I have recently been looking into building a computer and my dad pointed something out that made a ton of sense. Why build a computer when I can buy one that had basically the same stuff in it, but for a couble hundred dollars cheaper.

Any thoughts on why I should build my own?

Well I built my first computer when my dell could not play a certian game did some reasearch on it and it cost $400 and after that I thought that all my computers would cost 400 but know they cost $1000 and more. Its a good hobbie to get into also can help with a carrer. Also people think that your 'smart' that you could build a computer. Also it tend to be that custom computers work better then name brand ones. You can choose parts you want to put into your computer un-like a name brand that only give you a certian list of things you can put in your computer. As for cheaper computers they sell may work good for a while but then break and you have to deal with tech support but if you build your own can fix it your self.

1) for the fun and enjoyment of building your own

2) you can build a better computer with higher quality components (yes it may cost more)

3) you can get exactly what you want in your computer - not just whatever the OEM offers

4) did I mention for the joy of being able to build your own?

5) much better chance of being able to upgrade in the future (no proprietary parts like mobso, PSUs, etc.)

6) because you can

7) Don't even think about overclocking a store-bought machine

I could go on and on. Yes, A Dell/Gateway etc might be cheaper and is probably the best course for someone who isn't going to push his/her machine too hard.

unless you plan on buying one of those cheapo computers that can't even run games a custom will be cheaper. I did a comparison a while back with a custom built vs an alienware that were pretty much identical. The difference was huge. The alienware cost almost 2x more. The reason why i built my computer was because it would have been a much better deal building it myself and i know and get EXACTLY what i want... and i can overclock

warranties are crap and most of the things you can fix rather then REM it back tot eh company which takes a lot longer time then doing it yoyrself

I may just be gettin the expensive pieces but I am looking at a $1700 computer thats a lot of money considering I can get a refurbished dell for about $500.

Guest Jeremy
Also some companies like dell do not build there computers with amd proccessors.

507436[/snapback]

Not only that, but their Intel processors are crap. They don

Edited by Jeremy

is ur computer using quality brand names ? and waht the hell is in ur comp that is cositng $1700? u buying locally?

pfft refurb dell, mobo = $5

proc = $40

pain in the butt = priceless

your getting ripped off pretty bad if you are buying parts for 1700 and the system is comparable to a dell refurb at 500... actually any dell refurb should be put to shame by a 1.7k comp... i suggest u look at www.newegg.com

Were you looking to buy your parts from what store or website?

But with $1700 will buy you a very nice custom computer.