Old Laptop Wont Start

I got an old laptop from my uncle, who said if i fix it i can keep it. Its a Gateway Solo 9500. The problem is it wont start. I pluged it in and the charging LED lights up, but when I push the power button nothing happens. How would I find out what is not functioning correctly? Also is there anything I need to know before I open it up if I have to?

Well i dont know much about laptops, but the first thing i would check is the connections and the power button. I'd also check for burn marks, etc., but wait for more sugestions from other users.

moo?

Guest Flashstar

Try pushing the botton down HARD and holding it for a few seconds. Soemtimes when buttons begin to fail, they are harder to push.

I thought about the power button and connections, but Im scared to check because I dont want it falling apart :ph34r:. Ill try pushing down hard. I took out the battery, it didnt have any scorch marks on it. I hope I dont need a new one, I looked and it was like $150 :(.

EDIT: Pushin the button hard dosnt work, now Im tryin to take it apart. Sooo complicated.

EDIT 2: Sometimes I can get the power and lights to flash on for a second but then it goes off again.

Edited by computergee

it could be the batter/charging system the internal system fried in my old Averatec and it did jsut that, the battery could light the LEDs then would die. Thankfully i bought the service plan at bestbuy on it, now i have my toshiba for $120 + giving them that one back (it was a 1.3 PIII based celly, 256 ram, 30GB HDD, DVD-ROM, 12.1" LIGHT AND THIN notebook)

Im gonna test the power adaptor with a multimeter, to see if thats the problem. What should it read? Also is there a way I can test the battery, because I dont want to spend alot of money on a battery and find out it dosnt work (Please dont say lick it).

UPDATE: It is not the power adaptor, I tested it with a multimeter and its giving out 19 volts like it should. Should I buy a new battery or do you think its something else?

UPDATE 2: I dont think its the battery either since it should run w/o a battery if its plugged into the wall. I took it apart and found this small crack next to the thingie you plug the power adaptor into, any suggestions?

mobocrack.jpg

Edited by computergee