Fan Placement

Hello everyone, new to the forum - and have a question for ya. I have my P4 (prescott) 3.2 located inside of a desk (side opening for a tower). Problem is I have to keep the door on this opening closed and locked because my 2 yr old would really enjoy playing with it :blink: . My temps aren't all that bad, unless I use my Asus P5ad2-e Premium to do some overclocking. Overclock it to 3.6 and my CPU jumps up to 68 degrees. What would be a good idea for this scenario ? I have thought of a couple:

1. Raise the PC up about three inches and cut a hole in the bottom of the case to mount a fan...

2. Move the PC back away from the door a few inches to provide more airflow (require a little mod to the desk).

Just so ya know, I have a Zalman ALCU with the 120mm fan as my heatsink. Also there are 2 fans on the front/lower part of my case and 2 fans at the rear with 1 fan on the side of the case. I don't think enough air gets into the case when the door of the desk is closed.

Any ideas?

Hello everyone, new to the forum - and  have a question for ya.  I have my P4 (prescott) 3.2 located inside of a desk (side opening for a tower).  Problem is I have to keep the door on this opening closed and locked because my 2 yr old would really enjoy playing with it  :blink: .  My temps aren't all that bad, unless I use my Asus P5ad2-e Premium to do some overclocking.  Overclock it to 3.6 and my CPU jumps up to 68 degrees.  What would be a good idea for this scenario ? I have thought of a couple:

1.  Raise the PC up about three inches and cut a hole in the bottom of the case to mount a fan...

2.  Move the PC back away from the door a few inches to provide more airflow (require a little mod to the desk).

Just so ya know, I have a Zalman ALCU with the 120mm fan as my heatsink. Also there are 2 fans on the front/lower part of my case and 2 fans at the rear with 1 fan on the side of the case.  I don't think enough air gets into the case when the door of the desk is closed.

Any ideas?

505833[/snapback]

Put your kid up for adoption :P

How about the back of the desk?  Is there any type of opening for getting rid of the hot air out the back of the case?  If not, a small desk mod may be in order...

505835[/snapback]

The back of the desk is open, only small bit of wood on the bottom to keep the PC from sliding out the back if I should bump it or something.

shouldn't be too bad as long as you have good airflow out the back...

505847[/snapback]

What about a fan in the floor of the case. Here's why, at stock speed of 3.2 (who really want's to run at stock speed ?) :D My idle temp is at 46 C, when I close the dooe the temp jumps up to 52 C. I don't believe the door is allowing any cool air to enter the front fans. Another option is watercooling, but kinda hard to get my wife to give me the Ok to drop 200 bucks on a kit :(