Sign in to follow this  
lost

Good Monitor?

Dude, what are you ON?

First of all, if you're spending a grand on a 19" monitor, you are overpaying by A LOT. Second, that $1,000 monitor is a 23" model, MUCH larger than a 19" CRT.

CRTs and LCDs are measured differently. A CRT takes into account the plastic bezel. The LCD does not. So a 19" monitor with a 18" viewable area is only an inch larger than a 17" model. Trust me, I went from a 19" CRT to a 17" LCD and saw no major loss of desktop space (actually I saw an increase due to the higher native resolution that was much easier to view than the same resolution on my CRT).

So a good gaming monitor by Samsung will only set you back roughly 50 bucks more than that "amazing" CRT of yours. Now, if you're going to be petty about it, the 19" LCD (which has a far larger viewable area than that CRT of yours) from Samsung will only set you back a single Benjamin. So for only a hundred bucks more, you get a larger, brighter monitor that looks amazing sitting next to your CRT, and did I mention it only takes a fraction of the space on your desk compared to your CRT?

Dude, you have obviously never used good LCDs (most of the stuff at retail stores isn't good mind you, so don't use them for comparison). There is nothing a CRT can do that a LCD can't do better nowadays. So stop whining and acting all jealous cuz you don't have one and then trying to justify buying that box sitting in front of you.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet in the CRT/LCD battle is max resolution...

LCDs are generally brighter, sharper, and almost always better looking than CRTS, but they don't keep up on resolutions.

Right now, I run 1600x1200 on all my PCs, and to get an LCD that'll do that res I would have to buy at least a 20 inch LCD. That is not cheap. The last time I priced them, the cheapest I found was about $700, and since I'm not the type of person to buy the cheapest computer gear, I was looking at ones for around $850 to get a good solid monitor. I'm simply not willing to degrade to 1280 now that I'm used to 1600. :)

On the other hand, my HP 22" (21 viewable) Pro series monitor is basically top of the line for CRTs and retails at about $600. It runs 1600x1200 like a dream, and can actually run 2048 if I was crazy enough to want to do that. And the picture quality is outstanding. It has multiple brightness settings and everything. I know LCDs are nice, but this CRT is as sharp and bright as any LCD I've seen, apart from ones that are twice the cost and up.

Mobility is a problem though. Luckily for me, I don't move my monitor at all, so I don't care. And the footprint is pretty darn big, but as a PC geek with 4 PCs, I'm used to needing desk space.

Someone before mentioned how well their 6800u ran on their 19" LCD. I have never understood stuff like this. Unless a major change has happened since I did my research, 19s are limited to 1280 res. If you do all your gaming at 1280 or lower, I can't see how you would make use of a 6800u or similar card. Seems like overkill unless you play at high res.

I never said that the LCD was 19" I just said it was 16ms and one grand.

Now, if you're going to be petty about it, the 19" LCD (which has a far larger viewable area than that CRT of yours) from Samsung will only set you back a single Benjamin

A single benegimin is alot when it comes to this desision between 2 equaly good in picture quality monitors. And thank you Verran some one finally agrees with me! :lol:

Yes but how much does that 16ms monitor cost? I can get the same performance from a 200$ monitor that is CRT. I am not saying that LCDs are bad I am just saying for much less coin that you would fork over for a good LCD you can an outstanding 19" CRT with .20 dot pich with better picture quality for gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001166

I know CRTs are going away and LCDs will continue to improve but they are not there yet. I did look at the 16ms LCD and it is very nice but for 1000$ I still believe that the top of the line 19" CRT such as the one from samsung is an exelect gaming monitor for a fraction (200$ at newegg) of what the 16ms LCD is for a grand.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2467

507599[/snapback]

hey if you are willing to spend a $1000 on a 19" LCD i will sell you mine for the low,low price of $800 and it has DVI

now that is a deal!

I would but I dont buy LCDs and I am sorry I pissed everone off with my opinions about CRTs I think that we should all just drop it because I am not going to convince anyone and no one is going to convince me so we might as well be fighting over wether dogs or cats are better. lol