Sign in to follow this  
lost

Good Monitor?

It all depends on what you want to use it for. I dont like it because it is a LCD and a dell. If I were you I would get a CRT they have much better picture quality and are alot cheaper. Plus that is a dell... <_<

Considering the fact that this Samsung model (much better than Dell btw) costs about $60 less, has a better response time, better contrast ratio, and the fact that it looks a hell of a lot better than the Dell, then I would have to say no, that is not exactly a great monitor to be looking at.

Mr_Anderson, what's wrong with LCDs? With the ridiculously low response rates they have nowadays, it would be impossible to detect ghosting. You experience no lag in games or while watching movies. The image quality is far more crisp that it is on a CRT. Then there are asthetic reasons. LCDs simply look better than CRTs, hands down. And finally, you can't ignore the fact that a CRT has a HUGE footprint (especially in >17" sizes) compared to an LCDs, forget about the fact that a CRT weighs a ton compared to an LCD.

CRTs are much better then LCDs simply because they are cheaper ,have better refresh rates ,don't change in brightness or gamma baised on what angle you look at them (which does happen with most LCDs unless you buy a very expensive one) ,and have all around better picture quality. CRTs dont look all wavy and watery there picture is clear and consistent. These are the only LCDs I have seen with realy good picture quality (but they cost a bunch).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...1.6.1.3.0.0.1.0

And who cares if CRTs weigh more then LCDs that matters little compaired to quality. Besides its not like they weigh that much I move mine around no problum.

i have to disagree with you mr anderson all crts in the world wouldnt be worth the beauty and easy of movement that my 19' hp lcd has sure its mor but worth every penny. its like saying you prefer an ati 9200 over my 6800 ultra simply on price. sure they both display the same but overall its a better product. my room is also way more stylish and with less heat coming of the crt.also i dont need a greater refresh rate 75mhz is good enough. and why would you spend money to look at a screen at an angel. when was the las time you played a game at a 45 degree angel ?

Allright guys get a grip. LCD have improved a lot since they have started coming out. If you are into gaming, LCD with lesser than equal to 16ms Response Time are a good buy. Especially Samsung models, LG, Benq FP937s (19 inch model). I used to own a 21 inch crt. You think of carrying that downstairs to lan parties all the time. So I went out and bought a Benq FP937s and yes it is light and it rocks out in all games. Good quality pictures as a CRT has. There is 21 inch Benq out but it is available in Europe so far.

Now regarding the dell monitor you have their on the link, is good, Be patient and visit www.slickdeals.net you will find coupons for a good deal on 2001fp (21 inch) and 2005fp(widescreen) Both of them are good and worth the buy. Now for the person who said it is a dell. Think about it. Do you think Dell really makes their PC's and LCD's??

Allright guys get a grip. LCD have improved a lot since they have started coming out. If you are into gaming, LCD with lesser than equal to 16ms Response Time are a good buy. Especially Samsung models, LG, Benq FP937s (19 inch model). I used to own a 21 inch crt. You think of carrying that downstairs to lan parties all the time. So I went out and bought a Benq FP937s and yes it is light and it rocks out in all games. Good quality pictures as a CRT has. There is 21 inch Benq out but it is available in Europe so far.

Edited by contra33

haha, i have a 19" Viewsonic LCD 12ms. its awsome for gaming. no ghosting, clear picture, beautiful color, etc. I'm not sure how that dell would compare cuz i haven't seen the dell's picture in person. if i were you, i would go to a store like compusa and just look at all the monitors together and see what picture YOU like best. Not size, but quality and color, and brightness. Oh and don't buy it from there cuz you will pay out ur left nostril. just go back home and look for a good deal on it on the internet. :) I recommend Viewsonic for quality and stuff but they can be a bit pricey sometimes.We have a viewsonic LCD 17" that is about 5 years old and still runs like the day we got it. :)

CRTs are much better then LCDs simply because they are cheaper ,have better refresh rates ,don't change in brightness or gamma baised on what angle you look at them (which does happen with most LCDs unless you buy a very expensive one) ,and have all around better picture quality. CRTs dont look all wavy and watery there picture is clear and consistent. These are the only LCDs I have seen with realy good picture quality (but they cost a bunch).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...1.6.1.3.0.0.1.0

And who cares if CRTs weigh more then LCDs that matters little compaired to quality. Besides its not like they weigh that much I move mine around no problum.

507087[/snapback]

firstly, avoid the lcd as it is analogue only. best to go dvi imo.

secondly, mr anderson....how wrong can a single person be so many times in one post? :lol:

you obviously don't get to see many TFT/LCD monitors, then. lcd's dont have a "worse" pic quality. on the contrary. neither do they look watery. well, they do at 30ms, lol, but 90% of branded (well known) are 16ms and lower. the dot pitch on LCD's is always much tighter than a CRT. i sometimes find that going back to a crt is difficult because they are NOT as sharp as my Philips screen - and that's going back to a Mitsubishi Diamondtron SB 17".

LCD's only drawback are a native single resolution. boo-hoo.

CRT's will be phased out over time. you'll see :lol:

Well you can get a better CRT then a LCD for the money you spend any day. But personaly I still think CRTs are better for gaming.

In fact check out these reviews of the new xbr crt sony tv compaird to LCDs and flatpannels.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/96194/...DetailReview.do

people are just misinformed into believeing LCDs have better picture quality that is simply not true. If you dont believe me then check out all the reviews you see between top of the line CRTs vs LCDs and yes you will find LCDs that have simaler picture to a top of the line CRT but at 3 to 4 times price I hardly for status do I need to spend 600-800 for the same picture quality or less that I can get for 200 out of a CRT. But I will agree that LCDs are light and take up much less desk space.

Hmm you loko at circuit city for reviews?? Loko at tomshardware for LCD reviews for example. And other technical places like Anandtech for example. To each his own. Get an LCD with lower 16ms for yourself and try it out. Mind you montiros are going away slowly.

Yes but how much does that 16ms monitor cost? I can get the same performance from a 200$ monitor that is CRT. I am not saying that LCDs are bad I am just saying for much less coin that you would fork over for a good LCD you can an outstanding 19" CRT with .20 dot pich with better picture quality for gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001166

I know CRTs are going away and LCDs will continue to improve but they are not there yet. I did look at the 16ms LCD and it is very nice but for 1000$ I still believe that the top of the line 19" CRT such as the one from samsung is an exelect gaming monitor for a fraction (200$ at newegg) of what the 16ms LCD is for a grand.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2467