Gaming Rig Buildup! Please Advise!

Hello again all, as usual I turn to you, the experts on these such matters! My brother is going into college next month, and has allotted me 1100.00 to build him a strictly gaming rig. He has the OS and Monitor, as well as the surround speaker setup. He even has a case and power supply! lol, he has almost everything little, just needs the major stuff.

He isnt scared of overclocking, and would even like to, so I was thinking a venice core A64, which I dont know, but he has his heart set on the DFI NF4 setup (lanparty). He told me that he wants no lag in games, and no stuttering. I was thinking about a Geforce 6800 GT in PCI-X form, but I also heard that ATI X800XL is better? I never dealt with either of those cards, just the 6800 O/C bfg, not the GT model. I want to use all the money that he has in his budget, and make it go into the system, but I dont know what components would give the overall "gaming" a meaning. I read alot about the TCCD ram, after posting on here with a question about it. I am thinking of getting 1 gig of some g.skill running in that DFI board for him. My main concern is the Hard Drive, what is the best for running games? I heard with SATA drives, that after a certain amount of OC, they start to corrupt and not work/post/ANYTHING. lol. I am just stumped..

If you had 1100 and just needed mobo, ram, cpu, vid. card, and hard drive, what would you get?

Is IDE 133 obsolete already? or should I get 2 raptor 36 gig 10K drives?? Or SATA?

Darn, Im lost here.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 gig ram

sata hdd

3400+, 3500+, something along those lines

*WARNING*ATI FANBOY*WARNING*

ATI x800xt or x800xtPE if u can

LAGG FREE is impossible. u will always have some lag due to connection and just cpu's taking usage. what type/wattage power supply does he have? if its crap/low wattage, might need a new one.

1 gig ram

sata hdd

3400+, 3500+, something along those lines

ATI x800xt or x800xtPE if u can

LAGG FREE is impossible. u will always have some lag due to connection and just cpu's taking usage. what type/wattage power supply does he have? if its crap/low wattage, might need a new one.

505054[/snapback]

He has an ocz powerstream 520 watt psu. I think it should be enough, but would the X850 be better than the 800PE?

that PSU is fine then, the x850 can clock higher and yea it should be better, try and get the platinum editon, u will notice a difference.

505063[/snapback]

sweet, it looks like its in budget, will that ram be good for overclocking?

XT is higher than XL im pretty sure, could go higher on proc, hdd is a bit pricy, u need all those gigs?

corsair has like 1 gig sticks for 70 each, pick up 2 of those

Edited by GuJuMaN89

i haven't looked at prices recently, but my computer in my sig was about that price like 6 months ago or so...maybe longer. So I think GuJu is actually shooting too low. You should be able to do better than what he listed.

but yeah, definitely go sata over 133 (unless you want to get like a 300gb ide drive for storage to go along with your main sata drive).

and I still think the 6800GT is the best value, but you should be able to fit an ultra in your budget...if you want to squeeze every last penny out of the $1100.