Entire New Rig

ok so im going to build a new rig, i want this one water cooled, lots of ram and a good video card, i want to go 64 bit for the cpu but i can't spend more then 1400 or so and this includes a monitor, i wanna order it all from one site, and i'm not afraid to overclock it. so the first question is, any suggestsions? websites/part lists and i don't need a big monitor then i also wanna do amd 64? or pentium 64? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance and i wouldn't mind a barebone kit but it doesn't have to be :bah:

Ordering it all from newegg.com would probably be a good idea. For $1400 (US I assume) you can get a pretty good setup. First of all, since you want a monitor, LCD or CRT? Either way I would stick with Samsung or LG monitors.

As for CPU, you should probably go for a athlon 64 venice core. That would serve you well with a nice DFI socket 939 board. Also, dont forget to skimp out on good ram and a nice video card, its what makes the gaming computer :)

Do a little research on newegg, grab some prices and start making a list :)

personally i like crt monitors, but see i'm going to college next year, and i'm gonna need something that will be good there to + be a good gaming comp, so will that setup work the same? and yah its US dollars cuz i was looking at a 3.4 gig socket 775 64 bit cpu, but its like 600 =O so i dunno i gotta think about amd, i've always been pentium so i'm VERY nervous about switching over, plus any ideas for water cooling kits?

Edited by pwayzjellyroll

kiss your Pentuim whatever you have goodbye, bc as far as im concerned other than for servers and video editing when they left 478 (or maybe when they introduced the Prescott core) Intel left my possible CPU list.

Anyway, once you decide on a monitor CRT giving you more PC power, but takign up to much space in a dorm...then what parts to suggest gets easier, ill say keep $300ish for monitor now, that'll definatly get a 17" and ie also seen alot of 19" LCDs in that price area. Watercoolign is going to take a big chunk out aswell, and if it's traveling to college and back an XP-90c or a Zalman 7000/7700 is probibly a better cool yet more reliable option (zalman 7000 can keep a 3000+ Ocd to 2.4 at 1.58 volts under 40C load all for $32 shipped)

Get 512 x 2 of some decent ram there was soem 2-2-2-5 PC3200 OCZ on newegg fro $170 the other day friend of mine bought some and hasnt had a chance to test it (got called to work) but i think it would be a pretty decent option. as for CPU a 3000+ or 3200+ i would spend the extra on a better video card instead of CPU under $300ish for an x800XL...get the wonderfull DFI mobo everyone is sure to tell you to get (except for a few MSI guys :lol:)

That gives around $300 for a PSU and case (you'll want to spend a good $110+ chunk on the PSU) assuming a 3000+

The prices are all just kinda random, except the 7000 which i jsut looked up 20mins ago, but it's a basic rig idea. (btw a 3000+ venice core will run you around $150 and will out game a 3.2 P4 anyday assuming stock speeds)

If you go CRT you'll have more cash for video or CPU and you can either get a lover CPU and higher video or lower video and higher CPU, really depends on what you want oh and btw, what are you running now, and can any parts be saved like HDDs or the OS from your current rig? also 80GB HDD are dirt cheap after Mailin rebats now at local stores or even a Maxtor 250GB for $100 after the $40 instant and $30 "easy" rebate at staples. To many unknowns as to what you really need to REALLY help but maybe it'll give you a parts idea.

ok so im going to build a new rig, i want this one water cooled, lots of ram and a good video card, i want to go 64 bit for the cpu but i can't spend more then 1400 or so and this includes a monitor, i wanna order it all from one site, and i'm not afraid to overclock it. so the first question is, any suggestsions? websites/part lists and i don't need a big monitor then i also wanna do amd 64? or pentium 64? any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance and i wouldn't mind a barebone kit but it doesn't have to be  :bah:

504847[/snapback]

Before i suggest anything, do you even know how to build one? Asking opinions is a good idea, but u need to know what your doing first.

the only thing i have left from my old rig, is my OS thats it though everything else was sold, to cheap may i add but yeah like i said im so used to the raw speed of the p4's im afraid that the drop in speed from a p4 to an amd 64 will be to different but i shall try it anyways, and i don't really mind a cry monitor cuz i'll be at home for a while and have saved up enough by then.. so dont do water cooling? because i remember the tornado i had to keep my prescott cool was rediculous, so i need a fairly quiet, but reliable cooler to keep my oc'd processor cool, and i take it 2 gigs of ram doesnt make that much difference? if 1 gig and 2 gig's wont make that much of a diff i'll stick to 1 gig, and what is this DFI board everyone is talking about what model?

the only thing i have left from my old rig, is my OS thats it though everything else was sold, to cheap may i add but yeah like i said im so used to the raw speed of the p4's im afraid that the drop in speed from a p4 to an amd 64 will be to different but i shall try it anyways, and i don't really mind a cry monitor cuz i'll be at home for a while and have saved up enough by then.. so dont do water cooling? because i remember the tornado i had to keep my prescott cool was rediculous, so i need a fairly quiet, but reliable cooler to keep my oc'd processor cool, and i take it 2 gigs of ram doesnt make that much difference? if 1 gig and 2 gig's wont make that much of a diff i'll stick to 1 gig, and what is this DFI board everyone is talking about what model?

504870[/snapback]

I don't think you will be able to notice by feel which is an AMD proc or an Intel proc.

I don't think you will be able to notice by feel which is an AMD proc or an Intel proc.

504871[/snapback]

i hope not, but i have i build comp's? sure i've built a few before, taken a+ ccna 1 and 2 hp it essentials i know a bit im just not sure what im gonna do yet

Guest Raven65

I'm stayin out of this one. But as much as I love to crack the egg, I just placed an order for bascially a whole rig with them for a customer. This time they did have the best prices.

why is it nobody seems to understand amds naming system,lol

anyways...just do lots and lots of research before buying

www.anandtech.com - this is a good site if you want some quick opinons without having to use a forum

i would give you suggestions but i know there are a ton of ppl better at it than me