Will I Need Another Copy Of Xp?

ShakeWell

Ok, I have a dell right now, dimension 8200 from 2+ yrs ago, came with XP, now, i'm trying to build a new computer, getting a new case, mobo, vid card, psu, keeping my hdd, ram, and optical drives. Since I wont be using the dell mobo anymore, will the xp that came with the dimension still install on a brand new system? Or will I have to get another copy?

I'm also thinking of using the old dell case to make a secondary pc, using the parts i'm not getting new, and some older parts from an older pc, would my copy of xp work on here? Any chance of using that copy of xp for both these computers?

Thanks for the help.

You can't use the case, it is made especially for dell components, nothing will fit unless you mod it.

Im not sure you can use dell components with anything else but what they came on, for the same reason as above, they are differen't standards and dell makes them for this purpose, so you can't reuse them.

if the HD will work with the new setup, I think the trick is to do a repair, however since it was a dell XP disc, im not sure. I would save all data and just buy a real OEM version of windows XP and reformat and reinstall, but i would also never use anything from a dell cause dells suck and so do thier components.

Dell sucks....... why would u want to use crappy components with a new custom computer anyways?

Ok, I have a dell right now, dimension 8200 from 2+ yrs ago, came with XP, now, i'm trying to build a new computer, getting a new case, mobo, vid card, psu, keeping my hdd, ram, and optical drives. Since I wont be using the dell mobo anymore, will the xp that came with the dimension still install on a brand new system? Or will I have to get another copy?

I'm also thinking of using the old dell case to make a secondary pc, using the parts i'm not getting new, and some older parts from an older pc, would my copy of xp work on here? Any chance of using that copy of xp for both these computers?

Thanks for the help.

504811[/snapback]

Unfortunately you cannot use the CD that came with DELL that has the OS on it. When you use the cd on the new system, the CD will check for Dell bios and if it is not present you will not be able to install the OS.

As another guy mentioned, the key will not work for you if you get another XP CD unless it is someone elses OEM CD.

Just buy another Windows XP CD.

DON'T go and buy a whole new XP package. I had a dell, and built a system, and used the key... but the catch is you can't use the dell OS restore disc, you have to use a plain old XP disc.\

you can DL images of XP pro or home, or get them with no key from a friend with a cd burner.

and use the key on the sticker of the dell case. worked for me.

DON'T go and buy a whole new XP package. I had a dell, and built a system, and used the key... but the catch is you can't use the dell OS restore disc, you have to use a plain old XP disc.\

you can DL images of XP pro or home, or get them with no key from a friend with a cd burner.

and use the key on the sticker of the dell case. worked for me.

505377[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll do that.

And as to why I would use the old parts in my dell, i was mainly talking about the optical drives (one of which i got later anyway), the floppy drive, ram (upgrade also), sound card (audigy 2)...

And just so you understand, I don't need to fit any new mobos into my dell case, i'm getting a new case and mobo for the new custom system, im going to use the old dell case and dell mobo with some other old components scavenged about to build a barebone system for email and surfing the net for my parents, that's all they need. And my custom will be new case, new mobo, new vid card, new psu... going to use my old WD 80gig harddrive cus i dont see why it wouldn't work, i have an external for my videos and music and such...

So, Ste, i dunno what u talking about :lol:

Oh, actually another part of the question:

Since I'm going to use the cd-key that came with the dell xp cd on my new custom, will i be able to use that the old system (barebones one that im making)? If not, I'm just going to stick an old copy of win2k or 98se on it.

Edited by ShakeWell

I said u can't put any other components into that dell case then what it came with, dell makes them special, so unless they are scavanged dell components i don't think they will fit or work. hey whatever its your time, but dells are chittyy

I said u can't put any other components into that dell case then what it came with, dell makes them special, so unless they are scavanged dell components i don't think they will fit or work.
Edited by ShakeWell

I don't know so much about not being able to use the Dell "Operating System" disk to install... On my dad's dell, it's just a normal XP disk, with key built-in, and I was able to install it on my own custom rig (cause my XP MCE disk did not install properlly) and all I had to do was change the key to activate.

let me clear the confusion about the dell case with custom parts -

there are 2 things to worry about, the board, and cooling.

everything else is semi-standard on dell cases of all generations, as long as you keep the board. dell boards are mounted with clip things.. so as long as you keep the board, everything else with be OK.

second, the heatsinks on later-generation dell cases are passive that duct to an exhaust with that green plastic nightmare...

it works OK but they run hot, and as long as you don't overclock, just keep an eye on temps. If you plan on using a different heatsink/fan for the CPU, you won't be able to unless you replace the socket itself. those are cheap, just a standard socket replacing whatever you have.

now lastly - although i'm confident that you could use that key either way, i don't think you could have them activated at the same time. so yea you could use the XP key with the new system but if you activate the same key on the dell again you could run into problems! i don't know exactly what would happen but actively running the same standard license at the same time may cause MS to see that, or may prevent one of the activations in the first place.

so you could play it safe and grab another XP copy if you have the money, but if not i'd try to make XP work on your primary system and go 98/2k on the dell.

other than that you are ok using that dell to build a machine.