Hard Drives

x mazz x

Well im looking at a new Hdd since my 80gb is almost full

its an IDE Hitachi Hdd,

now the question is i have $150 to spend i was looking and i saw

Seagate/Western Digital 200GB $140/145

now my 80GB is a IDE

and these new ones are something ive never have (Sata ? or was it Raid?)

now ihave no idea what to do you see

i just want a really big 200gb (or more) but shall i get SATA or IDE?

is there a big difference?

i have :

Amd64 3500+, 1gb ram, 9800pro, so i think it'll be able to handle it and i want a silent /quiet one hehe

www.gigabyte.co.jp/nippon/K8NS-939-10_b.jpg

my mobo

Gigabyte K8NS 939

you need to check to see if your mobo supports SATA check out the manual and see if it does. if it does support SATA which i am almost 110% sure it does, then i would recomend that because it has a much smaller cable and has a little better transfer rate than IDE.

Yeah.. I would go with SATA as well.

And you would do well with either a WD or Seagate.

Seagate have a 5yr warranty on their drives as well, which is why my next HDD will be made by them.

if ou have 4 SATA ports then you must have the dual bios etc and therfore the GA-K8NS-939-Ultra instead of the reg GA-K8NS-939....But i would say use the two connectors right above the AGP slot, bc they are the nForce sontrolled ports and should not hurt your OCing like the other two (they might not but im not real sure...and ive heard that they do...)

But anyway, ive been running all IDE drives myself, but SATA is really the better way to go for airflow, cable hiding, and that slight speed boost.

Well if nothing is blocking the two "good" SATA ports on your board go with SATA :) Sadly on my board the two good ports were placed rather badly, right under my AGP slot, and with my NV silencer it's just impossible to use them... so I am still with IDE for now as well.. but other than the smaller cables I dont think there's all that much difference.

I haven't really had any bad experiences with any hard disk's I have. None of them have failed on me yet. I've got ... Samsung, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Maxtor, Seagate and WD drives, all still working fine. Well, not had my WD's that long but.. they're still working after a month if that counts for anything :lol:

Seagates tend to be known for quietness, but... my old Maxtor was dang quiet, my new WD's are pretty much the same in terms of noise. If you're looking at a recent 7200RPM drive from any of those three manufacturers it's going to be quiet :)

www.storagereview.com that's a good site for hard disk stuff. It has a noise level comparison on there somewhere too..

whats RAID?

503762[/snapback]

Redunant Array Of Independant Drives

Using 2 or more harddrives as a single one basically.

Raid 0-Stripping, 2 or more harddrives, separates data between 2 drives, it is retrieved more quickly, if one drive failes all data is lost.

Raid 1-Mirroing, 2 or more harddrives, data is copied to both, exact copies of everything done, data retrieved more quickly and instant back up harddrive.

markiemrboo. looks like im in the same boat as you

my Radeon 9800Pro Silencer , is over the SATA..

mabye ican use the bottom 2

whats RAID?

503762[/snapback]

Personally I would probably try and stick to IDE in that case :) Unless.. you don't overclock?