Starting A New Oc'ing Project!

ickler

Hi everyone, this is my first post as a member. i'll jump to the topic

I'm building a new computer that i want to overclock and water cool and i would like to get some feedback on the mobo/cpu combo i should use.

i'm thinking either of these two, would you recommend something else?

Fatal1ty AA8XE

Intel Pentium 4 630

or

Fatal1ty AN8

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

i like the fatal1ty boards, but i heard they can only take like 1.7v, would that be a problem if i'm trying to get the best performance out of my cpu? also, i've heard of the pentium 550's being clocked [watercooled] with the AA8XE at like 4.3, and the pentium 650 at like 4.7, do you think i could achieve something close to a 4.3-4.5 with these setups, or is that unreasonable?

also my water cooling setup should be[feel free to make suggestions!]:

SwiftTech MCW6002

Black Ice Pro II

Danger Den D5 12V Pump

thanks for your help in advance, i'm kind of a n00b to this stuff, so any advice is appreciated!

there is about a 80 dollar [depending] difference between the 3700 and the 3500 from what i can tell at most dealers, will i see a 80 dollar difference in speed? do you think the 3500 would be able to get me above 4ghz?

The L2 cache on the Socket 939 3700+ makes it well worth the price you would pay ove rthe 3500+. Most people report that the performance gain of the doubled cache makes the 3700+ perform as if it were 200 MHz fster right out of the box.

but that doesnt matter scence they pwn intel chips

503243[/snapback]

i agree, i use an amd right now. i got caught up with the ghz that the intel/fatal1ty put out, 4.7 just seemed ridiculous. i seem to be getting the same recommendation though, amd all the way. i dont know if i can affor the 3700 though.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D. The bios is set up with a lot more options, the board itself has a lot more (and higher) voltage controls. They also have a heatsink on every single heat producing component on the board (mosfets etc...). The boards also have some handy LEDs to show you where your POST went wrong for easier diagnosing. And just plain stock I would say DFIs are more reliable than Abit

Edited by Nagash

Guest Raven65

GO with amd and I would get an MSI Neo4. amd 3700+ sandy oc's well.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D.  The bios is set up with a lot more options, the board itself has a lot more (and higher) voltage controls.  They also have a heatsink on every single heat producing component on the board (mosfets etc...).  The boards also have some handy LEDs to show you where your POST went wrong for easier diagnosing.  And just plain stock I would say DFIs are more reliable than Abit

503265[/snapback]

slug bug recommended an amd 64 3700 san diego core, has DFI released a bios update to support the san diego core with this board? also, they have a refurbished one on newegg, would that do? because if i get that i can easily afford the 3700 and not have to get the 3500, but i don't know how good newegg refurbished items are