Wpa And Wep

I've currently got WPA on atm, but im experiencing slow speeds. I'm thinking of just using WEP or even switching of encryption altogether. I'm not too worried about people using my connection, as lets say the radius around the router to the street or any other house is more than 100m....so...should i really worry? The only security threat is if someone were to sit infront of a window and use a laptop to access the wireless connectio which i doubt will happen. WEP or go without security, which one you guys rekon.

Thanks

If possible, a good and secure thing to do woudl be to make it so your wireless router only will allow certain mac addresses to connect. And because you specify those mac addresses and mac addresses are specific to a certain device, you would have a pretty secure connection.

I don't know if i can do that, might have to go and check when i get back. I know i've seen MAC addresses somewhere in my router page.....just i dont know if i can limit which IP's can be accepted.

It's called MAC address filtering. You can use it to allow on specific MAC addresses to access your network. You van also use it to prohibit specified MAC addresses from gaining access. Without any encryption though, anything you send across your wireless network is vulnerable - passwords, credit card info etc. While encryption can slow your access, I sincerely doubt it's significant enough for you to notice.