What A Load Of Crap!

Guest Raven65

Guest Raven65

Well, I figured out why Doom3 and a couple other programs wouldn't install on my computer. It was a windows software issue and not a gaming issue, to where the last post was moved to. Sp2 for some reason doesn't like certain programs and stops them from installing. yes auto updates is off firewall is off and everything else I could shut. I uninstaled Sp2 and lo and Behold. The programs installed perfectly. Too old to learn linux. So I guess I'm stuck with Windows.

Guest Silenc3

I've never had a problem with sp2

But glad you found out your problem!

I saw a problem with SP2 when I installed the service pack as an upgrade to SP1. I couldn't get a lot of programs to work and the system slowed to a crawl. A couple of weeks later, I made a slipstreamed disc and decided to try SP2 again (I was actually forced to by my university after I got back from winter break). Lo and behold, I no longer had any of the previous problems. Everything installed perfectly fine and my system runs just as fast as it did on SP1.

Moral of the story: try using a slipstreamed disc instead of doing a upgrade. It just might work better.

I had a problem with my sktA 2600+ back when it first came out (the old load-reboot dilemma) but now it's all fine 'n' dandy. Though I think it's kinda funny how the firewall works... A program accesses the internet, the firewall allows the program to connect and play/DL, and THEN asks if you want it to keep accessing the internet. I know in some ways it's good that it does that (like for games and stuff that you dont want to lock up when you try to go multi), but it's also funny because if some malware were to be accessing the internet to DL more malware, the firewall wouldn't let you know about it until it's already connected and DLed about 50 other little bastard malwares :bah:

Aye, my mom rebought XP with SP2 from Newegg after the computer went to crap. Her computer is performing better than before now.

503541[/snapback]

wow thats um... noobish

she did know that you can downlaod it and rebuild the xp install

I had a problem with my sktA 2600+ back when it first came out (the old load-reboot dilemma) but now it's all fine 'n' dandy.  Though I think it's kinda funny how the firewall works...  A program accesses the internet, the firewall allows the program to connect and play/DL, and THEN asks if you want it to keep accessing the internet.  I know in some ways it's good that it does that (like for games and stuff that you dont want to lock up when you try to go multi), but it's also funny because if some malware were to be accessing the internet to DL more malware, the firewall wouldn't let you know about it until it's already connected and DLed about 50 other little bastard malwares :bah:

503829[/snapback]

Well, what else did you expect from Microsoft? When was the last time they made a good built-in security related product? I just turned it off and use good old ZoneAlarm for my firewall, PC-Cillin 2005 for virus protection (Norton started to piss me off), two apps for adware/spyware, and then a few other maintenence utilities.

Run those every few weeks and I'm running good as new. The only times I have to ever restart my computer is when I download Windows Updates (so that would be quite often, eh? :P )