Mobo Fan Problem

I recently bought a AK77-600N mobo from Aopen with an Athlon XP 2900+. When the computer was idle, the temp used to be around 54-56 degrees C. Now That I put a system fan in the back of the tower, the system runs at about 46-52 degrees C. I want to bring the temp down a little more. I wanted to install an intake fan in the front......would this help?

If I were to install an intake fan inthe front, i wouldn't know where to plug it into. My mobo has 2 places where i can plug a system fan into. The one near the back of the tower doesn't work for some reason. CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHY THE ONE FAN CONNECTOR (in the front) WORKS AND THE OTHER (in the back) DOESN'T? Thanks ahead of time. Any comments or suggestions would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Frank

Well, I couldn't say why one doesn't work. Perhaps it's just blown up? Yeah, that's possible. On one motherboard I had I managed to blow up all 3 fan connectors on the board somehow. Maybe just dodgy to start, who knows. Board still worked, but I RMA'd it anyway because.. well.. it annoys me that something doesn't work even if I don't use it :lol:

But yeah anyway, you can always plug fans in to the 4 pin molex plugs like what you plug in to hard disks and CD drives and stuff, and you don't really run a risk of blowing stuff up on your motherboard that way :)

generally, don't use the mobo fan connectors to power your fans apart from the northbridge/chipset fan... all the other fans including cpu, case (and graphics card if you're like me and strapped a big old fan on there) should be powered from the psu directly by using the four-pin "molex" connectors as mentioned already... OR from a suitable fan controller

the fan headers on a mobo can only supply a limited amount of power and can very easily die... you can get 4-pin to 3-pin cable adapters to run a 3-pin fan off a 4-pin molex... usually they come with the fan unless you got some really cheapy cheap cheapo fans

you can always plug fans in to the 4 pin molex plugs like what you plug in to hard disks and CD drives and stuff

502496[/snapback]

I'll probably have to buy some fans like that then. The ones I have connect to the mobo. (go figure) The one system fan I have, is actually a 100mm fan from a PSU.....lol. Does that qualify me as ghetto?

I'll probably have to buy some fans like that then.  The ones I have connect to the mobo.  (go figure)  The one system fan I have, is actually a 100mm fan from a PSU.....lol.  Does that qualify me as ghetto?

502499[/snapback]

:lol: well, if it's that 100mm fan that isn't working when plugged in to the mobo, there might be a chance that it was just trying to draw too much power. With a 100mm fan that might well be the likely cause.

You can get adapters if you don't want to buy new fans. I have some right here, they came with some Akasa flashy LED lighty up cheapo fans.

Guest Raven65

Depending on what fan you buy you might have a choice on what to use 3 or 4 pin, Why get an adapter?