Most Generic Linux Question Ever

Blue_cow

and i know it isnt linux but ive heard alot of good thigns about freebsd aswell. What is your preferences and why?

Thanks

501897[/snapback]

Probably from me? :rolleyes:

I just find FreeBSD, and indeed the BSD's in general, much more professionally done. It tends to "just work", if you have supported hardware, and yes, the hardware support isn't quite as good as for Linux. For servers especially (Yes, I love my little home server), I find it's far easier to manage than Linux.. which, well, that's a big plus really for what it's aimed at being used for :P

Upgrading / updating software / packages, and even the whole system / just the kernel, is just... a breeze.

The documentation is also top notch :)

If you're after a server I would recommend giving a BSD a go. If you're after a desktop... I will be honest and say you may well be better off with Linux, but a BSD is capable of doing the job just as well if you have supported hardware.

But whatever. Either way everyone has their own opinions and what not. I love my BSD addiction :)

FC4 all the way really. I run FC4 in Graphical Mode on a P2 with 256mb of ram just fine as a router/firewall.

Sorry to bump. But really, if this guy is still shady on recommendations, I think FC4 would be the best way for him to go.

You could think of it as the mini-winux (which I don't think exists anymore).

FC4 also gives you a bunch of ways to use it. You can set it up as a workstation, server, you know..

Edited by lithid

Ftttpht.

Gentoo. It's a Daunting task the first time you install/build it from source.

Everything is built from source. and considering you are an OC'er you want every little extra bit you can get.

I recently started using Gentoo, the package management is sweet, and there are binary packages for things that take a really long time to compile.

If you dont know much, and you want to. Install gentoo, and use it. I know 10 times more now than I could have learned using rpms.