Installing Fresh Windows On Hp Laptop

Freeder

Hey guys,

I have a friend who has a pretty messed up system on her HP 1400Hmz Celeron M Laptop, and I'm going of doing a cold install of XP.

Since I never handled an install of XP on a laptop, and I was wonder if it needs any special drivers/software for it to install correctly. Maybe an 'HP' disc?

Any tips would be great.

Thank you all for your help.

Ask if your friend has some sort of recovery disc that came with the laptop. If your friend has this disc, then just pop it in and let it do its thing. If not, then you're going to have to download all the drivers from HP's website, burn them to a cd and then do a format and re-install on the laptop. Though I would check on the HP forums to make sure re-installing Windows from scratch won't make the touchpad inaccessible or anything.

Since she's in the market for a fresh OS install, how about seeing if she'd be interested in using Linux? If nothing else, it will work decently long enough for you to get all the drivers/tweaks/etc needed to make the machine run smooth. I'll bet that if you use a fairly n00b-friendly Linux OS, you won't have to DL any dirvers (except maybe wireless) for it to work nice.

Back on topic, just like kashk5 pointed out, there should be a restore disk that came with the system that will automatically re-partition, reformat, and reinstall everything to make it look like it did the day it left the factory. If you don't have that, you'll get about 75% of the hardware recognized properly and will have to download a bunch of drivers to get everything to play nice. No, there shouldn't need to be any special setup steps needed, although you may wanna copy the i386 directory off the CD onto the HDD and change the 'install source' path for the changes it needs. Make sure to have that location or the cdrom handy when you use the docking station/port replicator for the first time also (if she has one).

Thanks for needed replies guys.

First off: I dont know diddily skwat about laptops and the installations of laptop systems, but since I'm the only acknowledgeable guy she knows, and I do feel sorry for her, I got no choice but to help her out.

I'm thinking of sticking with Windows XP Pro (good point about noob-friendly Linux cybergrunt69, but I dont want to complicate things further for myself :huh: ), then install all the drivers--that I already downloaded--necessary for it after it boots up.

I attached a pix that shows what network drivers HP offers and I dont know which to install: she is only using the network ethernet plug in the back and not the modem nor mini wireless thingy--help?

post-13021-13029921541703_thumb.jpg

Other that the network drivers, that a good plan?

Edited by Freeder

Don't forget to make sure you have all the data backed up, and that you have all the application software disks that she will be needing!

As for the fresh install:

Depending on how old her XP-Pro disk is, once the new install is up and running,

Her onboard network should be installed and work with the generic XP-Pro driver.

The very first thing, go to the windows update page, and update everything. Then do it again, and do it again, and do it again until there are no updates left to install. If it is an old XP disk, it will require several re-boots and trips back through the windows update site.

Then, once XP is fully updated, then start adding the drivers.

You might want to print out the Device list so you know what all is on there now.

You will probably want to find the right Video driver to install

The Touch pad should work right off the bat with a generic XP driver, but you should be able to go to the vendor site and find a better one. If it is a symantic touchpad, you can download their driver set to regain all the functionality.

Oh, and I highly recomend making sure you get the wireless thing going. Even if she does not use it now, she might in the future, you never know, but again, xp should have a generic driver that will make it work, but with less functionality.

Before you start

Back everything up, Back everything up, Back everything up.

When it comes to xp Activiation, you might have to make a phone call. If that happens, don't sweat it. Just follow the instructions. They have always given me a new code. And, if talking to the computer voice, you can use the keys on the phone instead of speaking the numbers....it goes a lot faster.

If she has Office, you will have to go through the same activation process.

Did I say make a copy of the drive before you start....Ok, just checking.

If she has any software that she bought over the net and downloaded, make sure you have a way to get that going again too.

For software to work today, their install routines have to run. Just copying a directory from the old drive hardly ever works in this day and age. Don't expect that to work.

Anit-virus, If norton, make sure you have the serial numbers, version numbers, pasword and login, so you can restore her expiration date. No sure what you need for Macafee, but, if it is a bundle, AV package, again make sure you know the login and password or you may have difficulty.

She should have a repair / rescue disk somewhere with all the crapola that HP origionally installed, and she probably never used. Make sure you know what she uses and can get that back on there.

That pretty much covers everything I can think of....Good luck

CPU_Cooker

WooHoo congrats! Um, I hope it's not too late, but before you let that box get online, make sure to have some type of antivirus, firewall, and spyware-killer apps on the box. Once that's on, the first site you should go to is windowsupdate, and keep going there until it says everything is up-to-date.

Now that you've got a good clean install, you may want to make a ghost image of the hard drive and burn it to dvd/cd so the next install won't take as long and without any of the driver problems that you may have had.

And make a copy of that with instructions and give it back to the laptop owner, with instructions on how to restore it, so they'll only have to go to you if they mess up the restore.. .maybe possibly restore it with them?? That might be overkill though.

definately a good idea, and not overkill. it's a friend - why not help them understand more how to work on their own comps? as a general rule, the more educated people are with their machines, the less they break them, right?