Subwoofer Enclosure Project - Pics

Ornlu

Well, this is a subwoofer enclosure I designed / am working on. Seems like just a box.. but there's actually more too it. In this design there are two Aesymmetrical braces. The reason for them both being aesymmetrical is to cut down on box resonance. while that isn't usually a problem for subwoofer wavelengths, it helps increase efficiency nonetheless. A box with a symmetrical.. I think there's only 1 M there but whatever i'll stick with it... brace will actually be more likely to resonante and create a two node system. This prevents that as well.

The box is 1.55 cubic feet internally after driver / brace displacement. It weighs about 40 lbs with no stuffing / subwoofer. The subwoofer itself weighs 21 lbs.. So the box will weigh ~61 lbs when it's done... woof indeed.

It is designed for 2.2 stereo usage in a home theater environment for a very tight musical subwoofer. The sub itself is a Phoenix Gold Xenon 10xd2 with a Mackie 1400i 1,400 watt rms pro audio amplifier. Should sound awesome when it's in its new home.

The box is actually complete now, but my camera has focusing issues when it's dark, and the lights in my garage aren't enough. So I'll take a pic tomorrow morning after I sand it off, and prime it for painting =).

UPDATE:

Well I had 2 cans of spray paint.. unfortunately both were 95% gone... lol, probably should have checked that first. Anyway, here's the updated finished product under my old box.. pwned.

Mackie amp... I hate you... :lol:

Anyway, nice box though. Do you have some program to help you design that or did you do all the calculations by hand?

501244[/snapback]

lol, did all the calculations by hand. the calcs were done one night when I was bored.. It's 2 pages worth of writing / drawings to get the correct design / volume for best accoustics / space saving. / cost of materials.

total cost $25 for a much better box than a Q-logic. I have one now.. the sides buck out when the bass goes up... The sub actually dances across the floor.. it's bad.. Hence the new box design. The old one's a .85 cubic foot, which is actually too small, but all I had on me at the time.

lol, did all the calculations by hand.  the calcs were done one night when I was bored.. It's 2 pages worth of writing / drawings to get the correct design / volume for best accoustics / space saving. / cost of materials.

501245[/snapback]

Wish I knew all the equations for calculations like that. I'm in school for electrical engineering and hope to end up in audio/acoustics/signal processing sorta stuff later on. Right now I know a lot of "theory" but haven't gotten to "practice" yet. Can't wait.

Mackie amp... I hate you... :lol:

501244[/snapback]

heh mackies make good amps and speakers but i've learned never to buy one of their sound boards again.

but anyway very nice box there, really sounds like you know what your doing. i know a lot of math goes into making one of those things sound right. well done :D

Nails? The vibrations can shake the nails right out believe it or not..

I'm using screws. =). There are screws in the pic, they're just recessed so it's hard to see.

The materials used are

1.5 inch screws, 3/4 inch MDF board, elmers wood glue en-mass, Dab Silicon Caulk.

And to the other post, I am also in school to be an electrical engineer. Although I'm not going for accoustic research I am very interested in it.

Nails?  The vibrations can shake the nails right out believe it or not..

I'm using screws. =).  There are screws in the pic, they're just recessed so it's hard to see.

The materials used are

1.5 inch screws,  3/4 inch MDF board, elmers wood glue en-mass, Dab Silicon Caulk.

And to the other post, I am also in school to be an electrical engineer.  Although I'm not going for accoustic research I am very interested in it.

501269[/snapback]

SCREWS man!!! no nails ! wow i neever thoguht of that , although i watch a lot of pimp my ride and all those other shows.

SCREWS man!!! no nails ! wow i neever thoguht of that , although i watch a  lot of pimp my ride and all those other shows.

501324[/snapback]

You know, that's almost sig worthy.