Help! Xp Slowly Crashing, Loosing Abilities Fast!

robAP

I have a this laptop to fall back on for communications.

But my main rig is throwing a fit. Running all viral, trojan, spyware programs that I have have netted me with no results of anything wrong. however the abilities of XP to function properly have degraded and are now virtually unable to run any program that could make a difference. This should serve as a document of what was appearing like a bad virus, however could be just something going corrupted or bad. anyway, it began like this:

I noticed after running a new program demo (thats the problem/culprit right there i think....) that my sound wasnt working. (tuesday) Exiting the program when it was running fine otherwise netted a look to the desktop toolbars and window borders, a look of the "classic windows" setting. I delved into that arena and found that the setting to change the XP desktop appearance back to normal was not there. the only choice was classic windows. nothign else.

On several reboots later and over time i noticed that my desktop would be just fine on initial bootup but would jsut revert magically after just a few short minutes to the classic theme again. i didnt have to click on anything. and it would do it before your eyes if you just stared at it. And at that time the sound wouldnt work. now if you started playing some audio or game or video that used sound it would be just fine till you closed that program/file and at that point you lost your audio. the windows theme would open just fine. and youd hear it upon shutdown, but otherwise you were silent running. when in this silent mode if you tried to play video....youd get picture and no sound. if you tried to play an MP3 or something like that youd get a message window telling you that your sound driver was being used by another program. it would not say what that was. but it would suggest that your driver might need to be updated. at this point on each boot-up i began getting error messages for Generic host process for win32 has a problem and needs to close...a few times. various programs began having problems installing on initial load.

I tried system restore points and i was not able to do that. i could go through the motions however the computer would tell me "system restore failed". also i would get random messages from the install program that "system restore cannot protect your computer." this began to get annoying as at this point i started getting limited to the programs that would run. the machine began to run slower.

i ran avast anti-virus (this has always run well and worked nicely for me with good results) and found nothing. spybot found nothing. trojan hunter found nothing. and then i noticed later on that i was no longer to run these programs. or any program. the displayed message was "This program is not able to run as it's configuration has changed. a re-install of this program may solve the problem." and of course when i actually tried to do that for one of the programs, i got the same message for the install program. I could not run anything.....aside form a game or two believe it or not.

At this point i cannot copy anythign to a disk as i cant run that burning program. i cannot run any software programs and i cannot even run a browser window to move things onto an email account somewhere.

There is no start button.

there is nolonger a connection to the internet.

i am unable to coerce any viral programs to load up and run

i am unable to transfer any documents off my main drive to a CD.

am i .?

will a dirty XP install save my day? and keep my files where theyre at?

im running unfortunately a RAID-0 as my primary C: drive (i did this before i knew what i was setting myself up for) and am wondering if XP will be able to do such an install?

drowning in a paralyzed OS. i think the poison venom is shutting down its major organs and itll be dead soon. ive got alot of things on there i had not yuet backed up that i want badly to keep. (this is why people with film negatives only have to worry abotu house fires)

Save all data you want to get, reformat and reinstall, sounds like your OS files are highly currupted. and many other things. Its probably to far to save with out reformat and reinstall.

In Fact I just did a tune up on a really slow system tonight got 20 $$ for it, but its about 45% faster but still very slow to me. not to the customer though.

Edited by Ste

Cant you just take out your hard drive,

Place it into a friends machine

Move the stuff you want to keep over onto your friends computer.

Then format your hard drive

Reinstall Windows

And throw your data back on :D

im looking into external devices as we speak...however im not sure it will recognize anything thats not already attached to it before the problem began. and even then its not using them as it should.

please read deeper into the subject and what i posted.

i cant open up my burning programs. "your program cannot open as its configuration has changed. a re-install of this program may solve the problem." comes up. and when i try that i get the saem message of the install program. I'm working on a bootable disk solution (im on my backup laptop now as my mainrig no longer recognizes a internet/lan connection) and the windows burning wizard seems to hang as well when i try to move things to disk. (ive let it sit in hopes it was just slow and its still hanging...30 minutes now) i cant even zip/rar any files together in preparation......

however that idea is something im thinking about too. will it recognize a USB device at all? will it use it? its able to boot from the CD and floppy....but i have no way to make a floppy and im looking for appropriate boot disks to put on a CD through my laptop....however the raid-0 configuration might make that even impossible to save things from cause it might not be able to read it perhaps when i do boot it up that way?

what i CAN do.,,..is move files around the C: drive...i just can't modify them or burn them to a CD.

ya but that doesn't help you, you gotta try or else youll never know, get a mass storgae usb device and try it, other wise you can't do anything.

Buy another drive, preferably and inexpensive one thatis large enough to bakc up your stuff. Install it, format it, put an OS on it, and boot from it. Then just copy what you need from your raid 0. Then zero write the raid 0 and reformat it.

This problem should be very easy to ge around as long as you are not booting from the problem drive, unless the drives are physically defective.