Loosen Up The Timings

what does the term"loosen the timings"on ram.would the #'s be low for instance like 2.5-3-3-7 or set higher.and when you overclock should the memory be high or low.

When you see something like 2.5-3-3-7, it refers to four different values, obviously. Each one is a tolerance for a particular part of ram. So each of them determines how much time the RAM is given to get it's data "ready". The mainboard tells the memory it wants a certain piece of data, and the settings determine how long the memory has to come up with that data.

So for example the 2.5: If you give your RAM 2.5ns (or ms, or s, whatever) to retrieve data, and it can do it in 2, you still wait the full 2.5. So if your ram can run at 2 and you set it to 2.5, your timings are too "loose" and you're running slower than you could be. But.... if your ran can't run at 2 and you set it there anyways, the data won't actually be ready in time and when the mainboard reads it, it won't get the right data, and bad things will happen. In that case, your timings are too "tight".

So in short, tight is good (faster), loose is worse (slower). But if you set your timings tighter than your ram can handle, you will get data corruption and your computer will not run right.

I hope that at least some of that will make sense.....

ok.i sorta got it.i was on newegg and was looking for memory and i am not sure if im gonna overclock my new board,its a dfi 925x-t2.here are my 2 options of ram i want from ocz.which would better suite me.my options