Why Is It Doing This?

NCC10281982B

When I start up my overclockix box KDE loads normally. The desktop displays on the monitor.

When i try to login to this comp with realvnc I get an error about the system not having enough memory. It does not show KDE. See screen shot.

My guess is that with Knoppix as it looks like you are running, there is a RAM requirement for KDE on Knoppix.

Requirements are as follows.

Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),

32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),

bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),

standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,

serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

If the comp you are using doesn't have 96 MB of RAM KDE won't even load. The thing you see is a basic window system. This might be coming up since it is now trying to encode and send screen shots for something as heavy as KDE can be. Have you tried swithing to run level 3 before trying a VNC connection? VNC is very heavy on computers and it needs a little head room to run.

My guess is that with Knoppix as it looks like you are running, there is a RAM requirement for KDE on Knoppix.

Requirements are as follows.

Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),

32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),

bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),

standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,

serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

If the comp you are using doesn't have 96 MB of RAM KDE won't even load. The thing you see is a basic window system.  This might be coming up since it is now trying to encode and send screen shots for something as heavy as KDE can be.  Have you tried swithing to run level 3 before trying a VNC connection?  VNC is very heavy on computers and it needs a little head room to run.

497666[/snapback]

It has 512

I think the whole farm is down now... :unsure::(

HOLY CRAP! Dignan's online again?????

I thought that your folding farm was diskless though. If your farm is still alive, maybe you can ssh into it and use top or ps to see what's hogging up the system. Post output?

i know this might be off topic but if i do decide to go diskless farm would an inexpirienced person be able to run a linux machine. does it require a lot? ijagwalaafq's problem seems so foreign i dont want to start with it and have to tear it apart l8r because i cant manage it

HOLY CRAP!  Dignan's online again?????

I thought that your folding farm was diskless though.  If your farm is still alive, maybe you can ssh into it and use top or ps to see what's hogging up the system.  Post output?

497699[/snapback]

It died a day after I posted this. i'm in a pickle.

• 3 weeks later...
When I start up my overclockix box KDE loads normally. The desktop displays on the monitor.

When i try to login to this comp with realvnc I get an error about the system not having enough memory. It does not show KDE. See screen shot.

497383[/snapback]

Double check your ~/.vnc/startup make sure it has "exec startkde &" at the end of it

KDE is a memory hog :) My guess is that it's probably saying you don't have enough RAM to run KDE via VNC because... you really just don't!!

VNC will run seperate KDE stuff to the KDE being displayed on your monitor, so basically.... you're trying to run KDE twice = super memory hog :)