Sign in to follow this  
flashystylez

Help Me Please!

hey, all I was just having a leisurly game of NFSU2, and all of a sudden, the computer turns off, i mean, everything in the case went off and the neon on my case fan, went out. completely black. Im thinking it is the PSU, its just a generic 430 watt job, running 2 hard drives, 2 92mm case fans, 1X 120mm case fan, 2 ide cd drives, an overclocked 2500 barton @ 1.75V, and a Geforce 6800 O/C BFG. I think it may have just died out. I have never dealt with a dead psu, but I cleared the CMOS, and unplugged the psu, and then reconnected it all, and NOTHING. It only has one of the green lights on the mobo lit up, it wont turn on the computer. Please guide me here, Im lost! thanks in advance!

That sounds like it might be a result of the generic PSU. Do you have an extra power supply laying around that you could stick in the computer and see if it works?

That sounds like it might be a result of the generic PSU.  Do you have an extra power supply laying around that you could stick in the computer and see if it works?

495582[/snapback]

I wish I did, I dont have any others laying around. I am taking a guess, thats what it is. :(

I have a friend that works at best buy, and he recomended me an antec "true power" 550 watt psu, and garuntees me thats what it is thats wrong. At retail cost of 159.99, I would just get an OCZ, but he told me that his cost on it would be 97.89, is that worth it? I never dealt with antec brand before....

I found two "Truepower" products on Newegg's website

Link 1 = $110.00

Link 2 = $89.00

Since you're buying from a retail chain, I'd say that you are getting a good deal.

Oh btw, Antec power supplies are really good. One of the top 5 recommended out there.

id go ahead and deal with it and no buy from bb, they plain old suck

495689[/snapback]

Deal with it? Dude, his PSU fried. How do you "deal" with something like that? Plus, why shouldn't he get that PSU from Best Buy when his friend is getting him a discount? He'll be able to pop it into his computer faster than if he ordered online, and it might cost him less too since shipping on PSUs isn't exactly cheap.

I'd go with the antec tru control 550W for $150 you can tweak your voltages and even two fan control IMO the best ps to buy for OC'ers and anyone adding and adding hardware to his system ;)

Check out the specs. you cant go wrong with it :huh: also has tons of excellent reviews, in fact i never saw a bad one :glare:

Btw this link sleeve your wires on all ps no charge if it dosn't already comes with it

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/pro...fbfd75c132a296d

Edited by kobalt

just get the dang PSU from bestbuy and if it doesnt work, return it and tell them it didnt work...

495923[/snapback]

:withstupid: yea, as much as I hate Best Buy I will agree that you might as well just get it through your friend at the discounted price.

ok, i was saying that by, he should get like a cheapo psu, like a 350

495738[/snapback]

So he has a generic 450 PSU that died and now you are asking him to buy a generic 350 PSU???

Anyways back to topic. Getting the PSU for $97 is a good deal. I have an Antec 480 truepower for the past 2 years and i have no single problems at all. Antecs are good.