Sign in to follow this  
sYstEmATiC

Just Lapped My First Heatsink

i just got some sand paper and used 400-600-800-1000-1500 grits.

i used this hsf i found in the closet for practice before going at it on my main HSF....

im not sure if im happy with it, i may try it again.

it looks all scratched up but it has a much more reflective surface than it did before.

i just got some sand paper and used 400-600-800-1000-1500 grits.

i used this hsf i found in the closet for practice before going at it on my main HSF....

im not sure if im happy with it, i may try it again.

it looks all scratched up but it has a much more reflective surface than it did before.

494097[/snapback]

I think it looks really dang good! my first lapping was a disaster, causing more gouges and knicks than anything, lol. nice job!

thanks, im going to put it on my 933mhz p3 and see what it gets, then i may lap the tt volcano7+ i have on my 2100+ to get even more practice before i move to my hsf i got on my main rig.

i have 2000grit but i was too lazy and the guide didnt call for it anyways, but i will use 2000 on my volcano 7+ and the volcano11+ i got.

looks to me you should have spent a bit more time per grit. I find that spending more time lapping as you get finer and finer results in a better finish.

That's pretty good for your first time. I would suggest using the 2000 grit. Not only will it look better, but it'll get rid of the cuts from the 1500 grit and make it even smoother. Just because you can't see it get flatter doesn't mean it won't.

I recently lapped my XP-90 with two different kits. The coarse kit got rid of the nickel plating. The "premium" kit just smoothed it out. After the 2000 grit, it looked like a copper colored mirror. I spent about 10 to 15 minutes at each grit level. Took me FOREVER since the coarse kit had like 5 pieces and the premium had a good 7. So 12 pieces at 15 minutes each is a good 3 hours.........

thanks for all the comments guys, i spent a good hour and a half or so on it, its just annoying to lap those things or i would have spend more time.

and what is this lapping kit you speak of kashk5? 12 different grit levels? wow! i only used 5, unless u count the 2000 grit it makes 6 but i got lazy and stopped at 1500.

I know how you feel, lapping is such an annoying and tedious thing to do. You just can't WAIT to finish <_<

I got my lapping kit from easypckits. They have 3 different lapping kits. They have a special where you can get some Arcticlean, Arctic Silver 5, the coarse lapping kit, and the premium lapping kit all for $21 USD (that's about $7 cheaper than if you got all of them individually). Plus, they give you a nice piece of glass to do all this work on :P

I looked at my kit, and found that the premium kit has NINE grits. So combine that with the 5 from the coarse kit and that's a total of 14 grits. That's still well over 3 hours!!!

thanks for that website, i may end up getting something like that pretty soon...or i may just stick with the 4-6-8-10-15-20 grit

thanks for that website, i may end up getting something like that pretty soon...or i may just stick with the 4-6-8-10-15-20 grit

494185[/snapback]

Remember, I only got the coarse grits because I needed to get rid of the nickel plating on the base of heatsink to get straight to the copper. If I didn't have that plating, I would have just bought the premium kit along with the Arcticlean (I could not believe how well it cleaned my IHS, it looked as good as the day I took it out of the retail box)

Remember, I only got the coarse grits because I needed to get rid of the nickel plating on the base of heatsink to get straight to the copper. If I didn't have that plating, I would have just bought the premium kit along with the Arcticlean (I could not believe how well it cleaned my IHS, it looked as good as the day I took it out of the retail box)

494214[/snapback]

OK thanks,

does that articlean stuff actually do a better job than 99% isopropyl alcohol?