Sign in to follow this  
Coolzero101

Windows Experts... Assistance Needed...

Ok this is a tricky one. I messed up my registry today with a regedit utility ive been making in VB6, long story short, I need to backup my registry from a backup copy, but I can't log into windows. gives me a nvcchflt.sys not found error ,Windows repair won't help in this situation, i just need to backup from what i have. Ive hooked my hard-drive into another pc and im waiting for possible help. I would install another copy of windows but i have no disc and my burner is messed up.... help!!!

just not your day is it? :P

can you even get to the registry from another drive? ive never known if you could? someone else might know though

just not your day is it? :P

can you even get to the registry from another drive? ive never known if you could? someone else might know though

493715[/snapback]

indeed that is what i need to know, i know its possible because i have the backup i took 5 minnuts before i did the expieriment.

safe mode should do it.. i think safe mode will use a backup if there is one

493720[/snapback]

well the backup is in .reg form, but I believe if I make a batchfile as so

copy D:\windows2\system32\config\system C:\Documents and Settings\blahshizzlews\Desktop\Backup\system.bak

copy D:\windows2\system32\config\software C:\Documents and Settings\blahshizzlews\Desktop\Backup\software.bak

copy D:\windows2\system32\config\sam C:\Documents and Settings\blahshizzlews\Desktop\Backup\sam.bak

copy D:\windows2\system32\config\security C:\Documents and Settings\blahshizzlews\Desktop\Backup\security.bak

copy D:\windows2\system32\config\default C:\Documents and Settings\blahshizzlews\Desktop\Backup\default.bak

delete D:\windows2\system32\config\system

delete D:\windows2\system32\config\software

delete D:\windows2\system32\config\sam

delete D:\windows2\system32\config\security

delete D:\windows2\system32\config\default

then copy the repair folder files, it will create a minimalistic registry that will let me boot into windows, then if merge my backup and restart all my games and stuff should work... if this works then ill make a program that does this automatically.

If I would have known I had this coming, I would have done system restore before i started my computer... I ran this beta program on my friends computer and it sped things up quite a bit, but then i tried improving the code, not a good idea...

I know you said that you don't have a cd but, you can rebuild the registry using the recovery console. Also if you borrow somones CD you can go through setup until you get to "Repair a windows installtion" ,(not recovery console.)

If you can't find a cd from a buddy there I'll send you one.

I know you said that you don't have a cd but, you can rebuild the registry using the recovery console.  Also if you borrow somones CD you can go through setup until you get to "Repair a windows installtion" ,(not recovery console.)

If you can't find a cd from a buddy there I'll send you one.

493795[/snapback]

EDIT: Long story short, I rule, I got it to work! Thanks for the offer bro B:)

unrelated:

I love tha pic of spock though the first series was horrible.

TNG>Voyager>DS9>orginal

DS9 was a soap opera.

Edit 4: I had to edit this post 5 times cause Im uh Drunk.

ya its like 2:30 AM but I have no life. nor do I need sleep.

This Site Rocks! I live here.

Edited by Ste

unrelalte:

I love tha pic of spock though the first series was horrible.

TNG>Voyager>DS9>orginal

DS9 was a sopa opera.

494432[/snapback]

yup lol

i find voyager more interesting, 7 of 9 is hot :lol:

494434[/snapback]

I think many people liked it alot more cause when u 70K light years away from federation you can't request back up or have stupidest qurals with romulans or those annoying big earred people. I hated them they sooooo annoying.