Sign in to follow this  
flashystylez

Is This Sufficient Enough For Now?

Hey all, I have an issue that im dealing with here. I have an athlon xp 2500 (stock 1.8ghz) running at 3200+ speeds ( 400 fsb @ 2.2ghz), perfectly stable. Its run along with 1.5 gigs of Corsair XMS PC3200, and a BFG Geforce 6800 O/C @ 380/770.. Here is my ?. I have been pondering going to an a64 setup for a month now straight. I even thought about going to P4 ( 3.4 650), but I rid that idea. I am thinking about getting a 3800 venice, and a dfi nf4 board, and just transfer the ram and vid card to it. Will I see any difference in gaming? I can play all the latest games with ease, and the rig doesnt give me any hesitations whatsoever. I just dont know if I should justify spending close to 500.00 bux for a matter of 200 mhz of speed on the core cpu.. Can you all give me some insight here? Im ripping hair out at the moment..

the athlon 64 has more cache than the AxP, pretty much the 200 mhz dont matter much, its the cache, and also it has a intergrated ddr memory controller and it overclocks pretty good too. the newer A64s should have 1mb cache which is good. make sure your ram works good with 1T timings, having that on gives a good boost, and make sure you have a good to high quality psu, thats your insurance right there. overall, athlon 64s are the way to go.

Im in the same situation and Im going to wait for a while durring this transition time... let all the bugs get worked out and end up having a nice second or third gen 64bit CPU... plus, the bottleneck isnt too great with what your setup is...