Sign in to follow this  
balema

Is Xp-120 The Best Hfs?

The xp120 is good alright but it is a pain to mount and some MBs are so tight you have to remove the heatsink to change the ram - which means you have to take the MB out to do anything / change the ram or reseat the the heatsink. If you try to remove it in the case and the cpu sticks your probably are going to bend some pins by the time you get that 4 point hook up undone. You can avoid this by having 3 hands :P

The xp120 is good alright but it is a pain to mount and some MBs are so tight you have to remove the heatsink to change the ram - which means you have to take the MB out to do anything / change the ram or reseat the the heatsink. If you try to remove it in the case and the cpu sticks your probably are going to bend some pins by the time you get that 4 point hook up undone. You can avoid this by having 3 hands  :P

493594[/snapback]

It is difficult to work with but it is doable. I bought E Fudds XP-120 from him and completely ignored his advice to remove the Mobo before installing the HS :P It was a bit tricky but if you're "super geek" like me you can do it. I'm very happy with the XP-120. On the other hand after reading "size does matter" on THG I think my next experiment will be a Thermaltake Sonic Tower

THG review of Thermaltake Sonic Tower

^ I was very surprised that the XP-120 wasn't in the lineup!

I agree - a lot of ppl underestimate the strength of PCB  :lol: . Even from the socket mounts like the older socket A hs's, they can hold a surprising amount of weight as long as you dont jolt or jar it in any way

I have over 800 grams of cooling hanging off my mobo (Aerocool dp-102 + Tornado) and I have to support it with twist ties on my power supply or it trips the pressure sensor. I have another 600 grams or so hanging off my 9800pro-XT in the form of a ducted tornado mounted on the VGA silencer heatsink.

With that said, I'd be all over a xp-120C. Weight does not concern me, and I have a couple triple blade 120mm 180 cfm fans sitting on my desk just BEGGING to be used on a 120c. :)

Edited by Thewacokid

Guest Silenc3
i'm pretty sure for the XP-90/90C the bolts only hold the retention frame around the socket... the heatsink is held onto the retention frame's (plastic) clips... enough sudden force could break these off if the heatsink was overly heavy...

493576[/snapback]

metal retention bracket, 4 screws. nice and tight, metal clips on the xp90 = not going anywhere!

just so you know :)