Is Xp-120 The Best Hfs?

balema

imo, the xp-90c is pretty safe just because of its construction, it seems to be closer to the motherboard, so it doesnt put too much strain on it. If there was an xp-120c, it would extrend fairly far off the motherboard, thus putting more strain on it. Honestly, i dont think thermalright would put out a product if it would damage the motherboard, so the xp-90c should be perfectly safe.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aye, if a xp90c is 670 or 690g or whatever it is, imagine what a xp120c would be.

ive been trying to figure out which one is better xp90, xp90c or xp120 because i have to buy a new hsf too

ive heard that the difference between the xp90 and the xp90c is only about 1-2degrees

with the added weight and price from the xp90c, wouldnt the xp90 be a better buy? im gonna be lanning a lot with this thing and i dont wanna crush my cpu or bend my mobo too much :)

493537[/snapback]

umm im pritty sure that the 90C was 1-2C better than the 120... or soemthing like that

i just got my xp-90 today.i was gonna start a new thread but since i found this one,should i use the paste that came with hs or buy some arctic silver.and are the panaflo the best bet with high cfm's.

buy some artic silver

and this post has offically been highjacked (or how ever you spell it :P)

493544[/snapback]

hijacked, in case you were wondering.

If you get a tornado, buy a fan controller.

hijacked, in case you were wondering.

If you get a tornado, buy a fan controller.

493556[/snapback]

Yea - its not humane to propose a tornado to someone without a controller recomendation too :lol:

Oh, and if the xp-120 came out in copper i'd be all over it :drool:...but I've also got about 650grams worth of cooling hanging off an already large graphics card in my rig - my weight judgement in fairly non-existant :lol:

I never had a 120 but dont they all (thermalright) come with a backplate, eliminating all danger to the socket and motherboard, cause with bolts going trough the mobo and held with a backplate i think you can add as much weight as you want as far as HS's are concern <_<

I never had a 120 but dont they all (thermalright) come with a backplate, eliminating all danger to the socket and motherboard, cause with bolts going trough the mobo and held with a backplate i think you can add as much weight as you want as far as HS's are concern <_<

493562[/snapback]

I agree - a lot of ppl underestimate the strength of PCB :lol: . Even from the socket mounts like the older socket A hs's, they can hold a surprising amount of weight as long as you dont jolt or jar it in any way...and the plastic tab will probably crack off before the mobo breaks(one of those dang tabs broke on me before installing a heatsink - scared the hell outta me but crazy glue was strong enough to glue it back on and hold the hs latch :D )

buy some artic silver

and this post has offically been highjacked (or how ever you spell it :P)

493544[/snapback]

ok,in this forum what is hijacked?

493562[/snapback]

i'm pretty sure for the XP-90/90C the bolts only hold the retention frame around the socket... the heatsink is held onto the retention frame's (plastic) clips... enough sudden force could break these off if the heatsink was overly heavy...

i'm pretty sure for the XP-90/90C the bolts only hold the retention frame around the socket... the heatsink is held onto the retention frame's (plastic) clips... enough sudden force could break these off if the heatsink was overly heavy...

493576[/snapback]

Still, i have a regular 90 ans i was amazed by the force exerted on the chip by those clips on the hs. you'd really have to almost hit it with a hammer to make it break off the clip thingy, i know it's plastic but i've seen some really hard plastic loll :lol: i dont think it would break off that easily just with a HS weight and top it off with the fact that they (thermalright) must've stress test it for that very reason.

ok,in this forum what is hijacked?

493574[/snapback]

Pretty much if it isnt the exact same subject, then create a new thread.

Your post was about the xp-90, but it wasnt about what heatsink was better. It had to do with thermal paste, therefore a new topic would have been best.

Searching also helps eliminate duplicate threads.