Sign in to follow this  
hardnrg

Attention All Uk Members!

hey, here in the US, the govt makes loads of money off us selling personal info (maybe not exactly, but you get the picture), now micrsoft, intel, and a few other companies with the govt and comming together to form an extremist form of DMR, called TCG (trusted computing group). theres a chip on newer boards in the future where is suppoesdly automatically eraes illegal mp3s and other files, and data that isnt "certified" will be deleted, and computers are easeir to gain access to remotely (gov likes this). i found this on cnet.com search thier forum, might be under the antitrust issue between ibm and microsft. its all about the money, even at the risk of security and safety.

edit: one of the reasons microsoft is for this is because bill gates said "we will make china pay" oh well there will ALWAYS be piracy. in my view id let china have it since all windows o/s are flawed... and i think amd opted in to this thing too.

504727[/snapback]

Arent all OS's flawed? I have yet to see a pefect OS. If everyone on the planet knew what the h ell they were doing then someone could make something completely secure and wonderful and whatnot, but since about 6% of the population know how to use a computer front to back, I dont think that is a fair statement. Just my 2 cents.

"i'm totally for ID cards. personally though i think there should be a massive central database will all our data accessible to the police and other security services, as well as hospitals and doctors, and all police, etc... carry retinal scanners, thus eliminating the need for ID cards, drivers licenses, atm cards, passports and stuff. but that'll never happen. "

I would be totally against one huge database. What a target for ID theft, and at a more extreme level, terrorists. Horrible idea in my opinion. Too many things to trust any govt to keep secure.

I think they need to run the trail they are doing a bit larger scale, and include kids, maybe a school, instead of going to registration you just put your card in a machine and have your finger scanned or something, would save a lot of time and there would never be any accidental late marks or anything...unless people forget to do it, but I think it would become routine after a while.

ID cards!?!?! Marxists....what will they think of next? Socialized healthcare? ...oh wait, they already did that.

I guess being liberal isn't too bad. Teachers in Russia have it made, they get paid in bottles of vodka since the government is broke.

I had a long post comparing this to Communism written awhile back. Then someone closed the window while I was relieving myself.

Anyway, like Communism, the theory is good. However, it won't work in society. Having to pay 100 quid(177.529 USD, thanks XE) so the government can sell off your information is plain bullcrap.

Also, why would it cost nearly $200 for a fricking card!? The government should pitch in some money if they want this.

I give humans 100 years.

Also, why would it cost nearly $200 for a fricking card!? The government should pitch in some money if they want this.

507956[/snapback]

it's not just the cost of a piece of plastic with a chip on it... it's the endless amount of research and data-mining and investment in new technology to make the ID cards possible that results in such a high cost... the government already spent (wasted) too much money on this already... it makes me sick

Im against it, i dont want to be controlled more than we allready are. "security and safety" is just an excuse and they're using the recent bombings to strenghten their argument. I bet this was googles idea.

Wow, this just sounds like a really crappy idea. I'm amazed the US didn't do it first :P

They come up with a personal barcode system, make it manditory, then charge the people for it! And if that conversion is right ($200), then that price is absolutely rediculous. When I was in college I moved multiple times per year. I know perfectly well that I couldn't afford $400 a year for a stupid ID card when I was in college!

This seems right along the same line as our patriot act crap. Sure it's a great idea on paper, but who's going to keep it in line. This could so easily get twisted around to be used to hinder personal freedoms. Granted, I'm a pessimist and generally distrustful of any large-scale government plan, but this just seems so unethical to me. Between the cost to the citizens and the "barcode on the back of your neck" feel to the whole thing, I don't know how they could get this thing passed. Not to mention that it sounds like a lot of experts are saying they really won't be of any major assistance to security measures.

apparently Labour has passed the ID cards bill and it is estimated that the cost is around 20 billion pounds... 20 billion... 20 BILLION pounds, that's insane! :(

(Blatently OT, cant help it)

I've never seen so many sig worthy quotes in one topic!

-----------

"britain is crappy. don't bother visiting." - Silverfox

"Wow, this just sounds like a really crappy idea. I'm amazed the US didn't do it first " - Verran

"I bet this was googles idea." - OvKillz

"I had a long post comparing this to Communism written awhile back. Then someone closed the window while I was relieving myself." - KB

"Teachers in Russia have it made, they get paid in bottles of vodka since the government is broke." - LoArmistead

"I give humans 100 years." -KB

----------

K, sry about that...we now return you to your regularly broadcasted topic :lol: