Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raven65

Would You Think?

Guest Raven65

I think I might need to replace the powersupply in one of my computers. My rails are dropping to 11.72 with a load and fluctuate to 11.76. This is not good? Yes? any suggestions?

While still in the 5% allowable range, I wouldn't feel comfortable with my 12v rail dipping below 11.8v. Of course if you haven't done so already check your voltages with a digital multimeter.

Those rails are pretty low alright. I would go ahead and get a new power supply. Just out of curiousity what kind of PSU do you have now?

check with a dmm (if those measures arent with that). onboard sensors are usually more off than even the temp sensors.

Guest Raven65
Those rails are pretty low alright.  I would go ahead and get a new power supply.  Just out of curiousity what kind of PSU do you have now?

490425[/snapback]

The one on this computer is a raidmax 420W.

The one on this computer is a raidmax 420W.

490667[/snapback]

therein lies your problem...not to be disrespectful or to bash your stuff but i honestly would throw that thing away and get a new PSU as those and other's are notorious for that kind of thing... (raidmax, powmax, kingmax<--not so sure about this one) <--they are the cheaper PSU's around.

therein lies your problem...not to be disrespectful or to bash your stuff but i honestly would throw that thing away and get a new PSU as those and other's are notorious for that kind of thing... (raidmax, powmax, kingmax<--not so sure about this one) <--they are the cheaper PSU's around.

490676[/snapback]

but they are the MAX... i thought that meant best!?!?!

:P

raidmax psu are pretty cheap stuff. they are not made with quality in mind but more of value per watt. i would invest in a good power supply, it helps not only now for stability but down the road for upgrading too.

i think theres always one esay solution just get the bigest one you can find :D

490687[/snapback]

erm... no lol

seriously htough, a 600 watt generic will be vastly outpowered by an antec or OCZ 480. and dont get me started on PCP&C.