Who Here Thinks Windows Activation Stinks

bigr5026

i think its redicilious for you to spend 100 dollars for each time you build a new rig to install windows legally. Who here thinks this is bs, and if you think it is, post here your complaints

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i guess its how microsoft makes money... i mean if you didnt have to then people would be sharing the windows xp cds...

But i do think that how much windows is, is a little on the expencive side but then agin you only buy it once what every 4 years and they do update it so i guess in the end it is worth it.

You don't need to spend $100 every time you build a new rig. You just have to remove windows off your old rig!

I've changed hardware in one of my comps so many times I know the Microsoft support team by name!

And yes and no I do and don't think it's BS. If I had a Billion dollar program, (and whether or not everyone will admit it, Windows XP is a pretty sweet OS,) I would also want to protect it against theft. And that's what pirateing is, it's theft. However, I think that MS should let people install OS on as many Comps as they want, as long as they're in the same house.

Guest Jeremy
However, I think that MS should let people install OS on as many Comps as they want, as long as they're in the same house.

489921[/snapback]

Yeah, having to buy a new license for every single computer is just ridiculous...

The easiest to do it legally or (maybe not) is to copy one hard drive to another using a program like norton ghost and then u have windows and all ur other crap!

489925[/snapback]

Nope, won't work. As soon as you have two pieces of minor hardware changed, or one major piece, you will have to re-activate windows within 3 days :(

Guest Jeremy
Activation is actually a registry key... hint hint.

489935[/snapback]

Yeah, actually I think in TweakXP there's an option to "Back Up Activation" so that you don't have to activate when yu\ou add new hardware

Activation is actually a registry key... hint hint.

489935[/snapback]

Um give the hint! I figured it was. I'm sick of reactavating after a mobo change.

Yeah, actually I think in TweakXP there's an option to "Back Up Activation" so that you don't have to activate when yu\ou add new hardware

489948[/snapback]

::downloads TweakXP::

:D

Don't get me started on Microsoft , I think anything with them is BS anymore. Windows

is a good OS but its not worth 200 to 300 dollars, it should be around $60, They're just trying to ripe us off. I hate windows activation it can kiss my @$$ for all I care. they need a new setup that will let us put it on more then just one computer. I don't know about you guys but I hate having to pay an extra $200 every time i make a new system and still want to use my older system FOR MY SELF. So what ever, just know that I really hate Microsoft and the way they rip us off. Theirs more I can talk about, but I'm just going leave it at this.

I know some people are going to hate me after this, but just remember THIS is what I think about the monopolistic Microsoft.

Ya, their prices suck big time, and even worse is their increasingly nasty license agreements. Basically, even if you use the 'automatic update' service, by the time you've installed the OS, all the updates for the base os, browser, media player, office, etc, you've basically told them that your computer now belongs to them. The apps you use, the media you play, and the sites you go to now get reported to MS - "securely" of course.

Ya know what, I was blabbing for a while when I saw I was writing a book. I realized that it's gonna take way more hours than I've got to waste, so I'll keep it short with this...

The worst part about this is that they are a nasty monopoly now, and with the direction they're heading, they are trying to make it much worse. Will they be stopped? No, they have already told the govt to take thier lawsuits and shove it. It will start to be impossible to run any other OS, much less configure it the way you want to.

BAH - they need to go away! Ya, my job is fixing and keeping their OSs running, but I'd gladly change careers tomorrow if they went away...