Is This The Limit Of The Cpu?

Hey all, Here is the situation. I got an athlon xp 2500 to tinker with, and got it to 2.2 ghz without touching any voltage, or anything, just on stock defaults. Running the ram 1:1 @ 200 mhz. It is Corsair XMS PC3200 (2X256MB). It is running in dual channel on a DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra B. I then go to 209 mhz on, and it posts @ 2.3 ghz with 1.7V, and runs in windows fine for a little while, then it will just freeze up. I tried punching up the CPU voltage to 1.8, and loosened the timings of the ram from 6-3-3-3-2 to 8-3-3-3-3, and 9-4-4-3.0. I also raised the voltage to 2.7-2.8, each do the same freezing problem. Im just wondering if the ram is just squatting out, and the cpu can go farther. I was messing around with it cuz I got a little antsy, so I pushed it to 219 mhz on the ram, and it posted the bios @ 2.4 ghz, but I would get a blue screen of death afterwards. I never got it posted to windows. Im wondering if I should buy some DDR550 or DDR500 to see. But I dont want to waste the cash on a gig of OCZ or something just on a wonder if it would make the cpu go faster.. What do you guys/gals think???

What kind of power spply do you have ? Because if it's cheap and the amps are running low, it can cause instability..

488585[/snapback]

yea the PSU is a generic brand, 430 watt. I watch in the bios, for the cpu voltage, and if it is set in the bios @ say 1.75, it fluctuates from 1.74 to 1.69 and so on. Could it be the PSU and ram? You think the cpu can go further with better power and ram?

yea the PSU is a generic brand, 430 watt. I watch in the bios, for the cpu voltage, and if it is set in the bios @ say 1.75, it fluctuates from 1.74 to 1.69 and so on. Could it be the PSU and ram? You think the cpu can go further with better power and ram?

488586[/snapback]

Sounds like your PSU is the culprit. I had a similar problem, then I got a new power supply, and no problems since.