Boosting Signal Strength

lost

i have a netgear router, and recently there was a new computer added to the house which is a little far off. i get a very weak singal in taht computer. i tried getting a new router, a double 108mbps netgear router, but even with that the far off computer gets a 2 or 3 bar signal, and all my other computers that was able to connect to the old router, can not connect to the new router. they see the wireless network but when i click on connect, it just cant. (i have the secuirty disabled)

i think i'm going to return the new double router and try to a antenna. i was looking threw some antennas in newegg. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...24099&CatId=374 hows that? but where do i connect that wire thingy? it looks like the end of the cable wire O_o

i'm a little confused. help any1? or should i just keep the new double 108mbs router and call up tech support. the antenna seems cheaper

well, you could run some ethernet cable through ur house, like the attic or something, and place a wireless Access Point at the other end of your house. Or you can try and find some sort of signal repeater. although, if ur getting like 2 or 3 bars, and there's only 4, is there really a problem? keep in mind if ur connecting to the internet at say 3Mb/s and ur signal is degraded from 54Mb/s down to 5Mb/s, ur still getting ur full internet speed. now if ur trying to transfer files, then that can defenitly cause problems.

I was able to bump the signal to my D-link DSM320 to full with a directional antenna. I punched a small hole through a tough wall that was extra thick for fire protection, threaded the wire through and connected to the router. Only time I have prob now is if We are watching a movie and someone uses the microwave(my office and router are right behind the stove).