Sign in to follow this  
cyrixMII300

Help Plz!i Get Garbled Display From Ati 9800 Pro

this is a classical sign of overheating, or overclocking... From whati know, though i am not sure , AS5 should not be conductive.

Are you overclocking your computer? More precisely is your AGP Bus running at its normal speed of 66Mhz?

As long as your computer works fine, it will continue booting regardless of whether you can see it on screen or not.

I believe these video cards require extra power? Did you connect the floppy-like connector to it?

this is a classical sign of overheating, or overclocking... From whati know, though i am not sure , AS5 should not be conductive.

As long as your computer works fine, it will continue booting regardless of whether you can see it on screen or not.

I believe these video cards require extra power? Did you connect the floppy-like connector to it?

488318[/snapback]

thats another issue....something happened yesterday which made me think that it might actually be a problem with the amount of amps going into the card...

since i installed the card i get a lot of garble right..and this is with the power supply plugged in....yesterday however, i forgot at one point of time to install the cable and therefore the display was a lot more worse than normal.....

when i plugged the cable back in the there was some improvement......

just to update all u guys who have been so kind to reply to my query....i tried to plug the card into some1 else' pc and still the same probem occured....so ultimately i called the shop and also sapphire distributors and asked to RMA the card....since the shop gave me a one to one replacement for the card i had the card couriered yesterday evening...i should be able to receive a replacement by friday morning.....

thank a lot guys....

:withstupid::foldon:

Edited by cyrixMII300

Are you overclocking your computer? More precisely is your AGP Bus running at its normal speed of 66Mhz?

488318[/snapback]

AS5 *is* conductive.

Yes that can also happen when the agp freq is too high - especially on nvidia cards which are more sensitive to the bus speed. That didnt occur to me, musta slipped my mind! :lol:

AS5 *is* conductive.

488999[/snapback]

I do believe you may have just started the worlds biggest flame war *puts on flame retardant suit*

People say it's not conductive because of what I quoted from the AS website earlier. It just boggles my mind how it can be capacitive but not conductive. Capacitive meaning... the ability to hold a charge? But how would the charge get there if it wasnt also conductive? How would they be able to measure its capacitivity if it wasnt conductive for some electrical charge to get there in the first place? Way beyond me, probably technically possible(???) but I just prefer to say its conductive and have done with it :)

Sadly I dont have any AS5 around me to smear all over my motherboard just to see if it really is conductive or not :)

I have a Giant 3 also and I was getting the samething I had to reset the heatsink and the pipes. Also for some reason If I turn the 747 blower on I dont have any problems booting up. Also its abnormal for both the front and back plate to be cold, the back should be slightly warmer then the front.

Edited by Lyrical Exercise

actually, you can be capacitive but not conductive. a capacitor will hold a charge but will not allow current to pass through it. unless ur using AC power but most cpu parts, actually all, use DC power. the resistance of a capacitor is based on the frequency of the signal. since DC's frequency is 0, you get a 0 in the denominator making the resistance infinity. i forget what the actual equation is though. personally, i hate physics. lol and yet im still majoring in computer engineering which uses some physics. go figure. but yea, it can be capacitative and not conductive, cuz to conduct, you have to be able to pass current. ive never found AS5 to be very conductive. it may pass some current, but not enough to cause me any problems. im sure if there is enough though, it will short stuff out. it just may take alot.